Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
joshlanl
Nintex Newbie

Toggle display mode

Jump to solution

I have a long Nintext form, and I want to be able to toggle a form back and forth between Edit mode and Display mode, and I can't seem to find a way to do that.

I want to use Display mode for my print view because I need my form to resize text boxes so that the whole box is showing. I would also like to have the buttons hidden, as they are in Display mode. It seems to me like there should be some simple way to do this toggle, like when you click "Edit" in he ribbon when the form is in Display mode. However, once I click Edit and go to Edit.aspx I don't find any way to go back to Display other than closing the form and re-opening it.

I've been poking at this problem for two days now and can't seem to find a solution or a post where someone else had had this issue. I'm probably missing something really obvious, and I'm hoping someone will be able to point it out to me.

Thank you!

Labels: (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
brianknight
Nintex Newbie

Re: Toggle display mode

Jump to solution

My thought would be create a form variable that creates the URL you need.  I do a build string action in a workflow that takes people into the edit version of the form when they click on it.  I'm not exactly sure on the syntax to build out the route to display, I imagine it is close.

{Common:WebUrl}/_layouts/15/listform.aspx?PageType=6&ListId={Common:ListID}&ID={ItemProperty:ID}

Once you do that, create a save button that re-routes you to the url you've built from your form variable.  There is an option to redirect after click.  You could also set it to run a java script and try it that way.  I'm not familiar enough with JS to know eactly how you would accomplish that.  Lastly once you have your button ready, just place it in a panel that hides on the form but still shows in the ribbon.  That way you don't have this extra button hanging around on your form.

0 Kudos
joshlanl
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Thanks, Brian.

I'll experiment with that approach. I also thought it might be possible to add a link to the DispForm.aspx file and add the list item to the URL as a variable (something along these lines: https://community.nintex.com/t5/Nintex-for-SharePoint/Add-variable-to-URL-on-Nintex-Form/td-p/64186),

But it really seemed to me like toggling between the Display and Edit modes would be an OOTB thing and I didn't want to cutomize something if I was just being dumb, but maybe it's a less common need than I would have thought.

-Josh

0 Kudos
joshlanl
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

I have an easy solution that I'll share in case it's useful for someone else. You can creat a toggle to Display from Edit view by doing the following:

• Create a calculated field and populate the Formula field with ID from the Item Properties tab so it shows the list ID of the currently open item.
  • Create a Save and Submit button. Rename it "Print View" or whatever.
  • In the button, Under Advanced put the base URL for the Display view in the Redirect URL. It will look something like, "https://myurl/DispForm.aspx?ID="
  • Then insert the current item ID after the "="
  • It will concatenate to something like "https://myurl/DispForm.aspx?ID=45" or what ever the current item number is and open the DispForm.aspx file instead of the EditForm.aspx file.

The calculated field seems unnecessary, but for some reason it wasn't working when I directly inserted the ID.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
joshlanl
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Correction: the calculated ID field is unnecessary. Just insert the ID into the URL.

0 Kudos