Solved

The workflow has ended unexpectedly. An error has occurred in [x].

• 13 November 2015
  • 5 replies

Badge +4

I have a few workflows in three different site collections which are erroring or failing with this email notification. The workflow details are all green and it shows the workflow fully completed successfully. The workflow actions result in perfect data -- nothing is missing or incorrect. This is the email I get:

"The workflow has ended unexpectedly.

An error has occurred in .

Click here to view the workflow status."

I opened a Nintex support ticket just now, however I'm wondering if anyone else has a solution? I saw a similar issue thread here, but it looks to be slightly different: https://community.nintex.com/message/22534#22534

Thanks!

Allan

icon

Best answer by allan48728 23 November 2015, 19:53

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Interesting, Can you share a shot of the history screen? Click see details on the status page.

Badge +4

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your reply! We were able to resolve it without Nintex Support. I also forgot to mention a few details in case this helps someone in the future:

Symptoms:

1. This happened to a site workflow, not a list workflow.
  2. As far as workflow actions go, I have zero delays/pauses/”wait-until” in the workflow. However, the error is generated with a time stamp that's 1-2 minutes after the entire workflow completes successfully (i.e. after all workflow actions are completed). It always errors at the end.

Workflow Messages

Time: 11/13/2015 1:47 PM

Event: Error

Outcome: (empty)

3. See the ULS logs below. This is the error: "List does not exist.  The page you selected contains a list that does not exist.  It may have been deleted by another user."

Solution:

1. In a nutshell, the fix was to add the workflow action called "Commit pending changes" inside one of the For Each loops. A colleague had a hunch that "Commit pending changes" could resolve it. To test the hunch, I added the action after every variable or update action in the workflow, and then narrowed it down to just one spot in the workflow.

Screenshot of the workflow fix:

WorkflowFix1.png

ULS log associated to the workflow instance:

Name=Request (GET:https://<siteURL>/_layouts/15/NintexWorkflow/preview.aspx?ListId=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000&ItemId=-1&WorkflowId=7a788886-655f-444e-bd8c-aa3ef6eb225x&mode=Runtime&InstanceId=6e766509-vec5-4j88-bcfd-7sw55ded432b)

List does not exist.  The page you selected contains a list that does not exist.  It may have been deleted by another user.

SPRequest.GetListsWithCallback: UserPrincipalName=i:0).w|s-1-5-21-118107795-1152602752-1039283242-867337, AppPrincipalName= ,bstrUrl=https://<siteURL>/_layouts/15/NintexWorkflow/preview.aspx?ListId=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000&ItemId=-1&WorkflowId=7a788886-655f-444e-bd8c-aa3ef6eb225x&mode=Runtime&InstanceId=6e766509-ceb6-4f74-bcfd-7da50ded432b ,foreignWebId=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 ,bstrListInternalName={00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000} ,dwBaseType=-1 ,dwBaseTypeAlt=-1 ,dwServerTemplate=-1 ,dwGetListFlags=0 ,dwListFilterFlags=4294967295 ,bPrefetchMetaData=True ,bSecurityTrimmed=True ,bGetSecurityData=True ,bPrefetchRelatedFields=False

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: List does not exist.  The page you selected contains a list that does not exist.  It may have been deleted by another user., StackTrace:    at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListCollection.EnsureListsData(Guid webId, String strListName)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListCollection.ItemByInternalName(String strInternalName, Boolean bThrowException)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListCollection.GetListById(Guid uniqueID, Boolean bThrowException)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationRuntime.BaseApplication.Application_PreRequestHandlerExecute(Object sender, EventArgs e)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationRuntime.SPRequestModule.PreRequestExecuteAppHandler(Object oSender, EventArgs ea)     at System.Web.HttpApplication.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()     at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)     at System.Web.HttpApplication.PipelineStepManager.ResumeSteps(Exception error)     at System.Web.HttpApplication.BeginProcessRequestNotification(HttpContext context, AsyncCallback cb)     at System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestNotificationPrivate(IIS7WorkerRequest wr, HttpContext context)     at System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.ProcessRequestNotificationHelper(IntPtr rootedObjectsPointer, IntPtr nativeRequestContext, IntPtr moduleData, Int32 flags)     at System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.ProcessRequestNotification(IntPtr rootedObjectsPointer, IntPtr nativeRequestContext, IntPtr moduleData, Int32 flags)     at System.Web.Hosting.UnsafeIISMethods.MgdIndicateCompletion(IntPtr pHandler, RequestNotificationStatus& notificationStatus)     at System.Web.Hosting.UnsafeIISMethods.MgdIndicateCompletion(IntPtr pHandler, RequestNotificationStatus& notificationStatus)     at System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.ProcessRequestNotificationHelper(IntPtr rootedObjectsPointer, IntPtr nativeRequestContext, IntPtr moduleData, Int32 flags)     at System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.ProcessRequestNotification(IntPtr rootedObjectsPointer, IntPtr nativeRequestContext, IntPtr moduleData, Int32 flags)

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

That's great! For more on Commit Pending Changes and why it is so helpful see Designing your Workflow - Commit Pending Changes Action NW2010 &amp; NW2013

Badge +1

Thank you very much Allan, your answer was able to resolve an issue which just wouldn't go away. My list workflow was working correctly when started manually.The issue was that when it was started automatically all the actions would show up as green indicating that all the actions had been performed but then I would still get a message stating that an error has occurred. It was just an extremely annoying and frustrating error which I struggled to resolve until I found this post. Thanks for sharing your insight.

Had the same issue when looping through list items in a Site Workflow. Thanks @allan48728 you saved my day.