cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

The workflow could not update the item, possibly because one or more columns for the item require a different type of information

Jump to solution

I have User content type and set it as default content type of list instead of item content type. when i use Update item action for the second time in workflow, it gives me an error "The workflow could not update the item, possibly because one or more columns for the item require a different type of information". If default content type is set to Item then there is no error but for default User content type, error occurred. Please help me as soon as possible.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
fhunth
Nintex Newbie

Re: The workflow could not update the item, possibly because one or more columns for the item require a different type of information

Jump to solution

Add the action named "Commit pending changes" after your update action.

Not applicable

Re: The workflow could not update the item, possibly because one or more columns for the item require a different type of information

Jump to solution

I was just dealing with this same error on a workflow that previously has been working fine.  I think this is one of those "generic" errors that don't have any specific meaning, since my research has led to many "solutions" that have worked for some but not others.

My solution (and it is always something so simple and stupid isn't it?):

I have my workflow set to start on modification of list item, no conditions.

Inside the workflow I had recently added 3 "SET FIELD VALUE"s--in otherwords, inside of a workflow that starts on modification, I am modifying it, so the workflow is trying to start again when it is already running and it doesn't like that.

Solution, I created a separate workflow holding the 3 updates, complete with their "run ifs".

Workflow A has:

field 1 with "run if" this condition > start Workflow B

field 2 with "run if" this condition > start Workflow B

field 3 with "run if" this condition > start Workflow B

Workflow B has

field 1 with "run if" this condition > update item X

field 2 with "run if" this condition > update item Y

field 3 with "run if" this condition > update item Z

When X,Y, and Z are modified via the second workflow, it will kick off workflow A again, so if the Workflow A conditions that kicked off  Workflow B remain you will dive into a circular pattern--so be careful.  Be sure that workflow B will change the condition that Workflow A is looking for!

0 Kudos