cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

The fn-FormatDate does not work within email notification.

Jump to solution

Inside the email notification body, I entered fn-FormatDate({datevariable},D).  {datevariable} is "4/6/2015".  When I receive the email, I have fn-FormatDate(4/6/2015 12:00AM, D) in the email body.  I am expecting only the Date part not the seconds.  Why the format does not work inside email notification?  How can I make it work?

Labels: (2)
11 Replies
Automation Master
Automation Master

Re: The fn-FormatDate does not work within email notification.

Jump to solution

Hi Emily,

Can you try using a build string action to format your date with the format date function, and then reference the pre-formatted date variable inside of your Email body instead?

This should work as a workaround.

Thanks,

Mike

View solution in original post

redpanda
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Try adding {TextStart} and {TextEnd} around your variable, like this:

fn-FormatDate({TextStart}{datevariable}{TextEnd},D)

Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick response.  Mike's method works. 

cgb
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Mike,

I came across this very issue today and thought I would give you my update.  When I have the Send notification action set to "Rich Text" - the fn-FormatDate function does not work.  So I use the Set variable action to format a variable and then reference the variable in my notification.  However, when the Send notification action is set to "Plain Text" the fn-FormatDate function works as expected.  I don't know if this is a bug or a feature - that's how it worked for me.

Thanks for your comment for the workaround.

Chris

lonesurvivor
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

For me in Nintex Workflows 2013 3.1.7.10 International this works but there has to be a workaround as there is a still unfixed bug with user's display-language (if you change for e.g. from en-us to de-de, days and months from input-field gets switched which crashes the inline-function as for e.g. 13.02.2016 is not a valid date).

See this post:

UK date format displayed in SharePoint, interpreted as US date format in Nintex

This way works for me:

Results to:

carlosn
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

I'm a Nintex noob and recently ran into this problem.  I did some debugging and found out the following which I'm adding for anyone who may stumble upon this thread 

The fn-FormatDate function definitely seems to not work when used inside an RTF notification, but seems to work in a plain text notification.  More interestingly, if you convert a plain text notification to a RTF notification, any fn-FormatDate calls DO work.

I went digging into the HTML code of the RTF notification and found out that when you "Insert Reference" to a workflow variable while in RTF mode, the editor wraps the reference in a <span> tag.  This appears to break the function call.

Options to fix this (in order of preference):

• Create the entire string while still in the "Insert Reference" dialog.  This wraps the function in a <span> but not the underlying variable reference.
  • As Mike suggested, Build a helper string
  • Create all the initial references while in "basic text" mode and then convert to RTF
  • Hack the underlying HTML code

Carlos

marnita
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

I am lost. I have followed this post and others that I have searched and have not been able to get anything to work. I am new at this so I'm certain I'm missing one little step in Mike's (or anyone's explanation.) I am using O365. Is this making the difference? Would someone be kind enough to spell out each step for me? Thank you.

0 Kudos
citizenpaul
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Your first option worked brilliantly Carlos, both in the Subject and Body of the email.

I'm using Nintex 2010

Thanks

0 Kudos
rebecca_gordon
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

I'm having the same problem in Office 365, it's driving me nuts. I need to append the date/time nicely formatted to the document names to avoid duplicates. I wonder if all of these posts were for on-prem? ‌ anyone we can ask?

Kind regards,

Rebecca