Want to open edit form based on selection from a connected list webpart

• 20 November 2015
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hello All -

I am looking to create a page for users to quickly view their active requests and be able to edit it (via the edit form) on the same page. Usually within InfoPath, this can be accomplished by connecting the list and the form webparts and telling the form the get the data from the list. This would allow users to select any item and the form pull in all of the specific details for that item.

I have my edit form and desired list webparts on the page and attempting to connect them so that the edit form shows the details for the selected item, but am running into issues. The form webpart requires a Item ID to know what to display (makes sense), but we won't know that until the user selects one to open. Is there something that I should enter in to that required field?

Thanks in advance!

12 replies

Badge +17

Jesse,

You are correct that this is required for the form web part to work.  Could you simply just have the list and when they click on the item it would open up the form in the view mode.  Another alternative is to create a new row, edit the view via javascript and embed the URL to the editform with the ID pulling from the row.  This will get you what you need without having to modify the page. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You can edit the view with JS by simply applying a JS Link overwrite of the view. JS Link for SharePoint 2013 Web Parts–A Quick Functional Primer | idubbs.com

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I did manage to get something working, but if there is a better way, please let me know.

What I did:

• Create a new page and open it up to edit
  • Place LIST WEBPART on page
  • Place NINTEX FORM WEBPART on (same page)
    • Edit the webpart
    • Update settings but leave ITEM ID BLANK
    • Click OK - This will prompt you to enter Item ID

144476_pastedImage_8.png

• Save the page

Here I see that the form is asking to be connected to a list view or configure the properties.

144477_pastedImage_9.png

• Edit the page
  • Edit the LIST WEBPART
  • Add a connection to the FORM WEBPART

Here I see that the form is now displaying the selected item, but in display.

144474_pastedImage_3.png

• Edit the FORM WEBPART
  • Change the form to show in EDIT MODE

144473_pastedImage_2.png

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

No way! I had trouble connecting the webpart before, I would love to see this working! So from the first image where you had everything configured but the ID (which is required), you simply applied this and hit save page? Then you could connect the two webparts (list, and list form)? More screen shots please. I really like this solution

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Andrew, that is correct. Here is the process I did with additional screenshots:

• Create a new page.
    • I make two columns (one for each webpart).
  • Insert your desired list webpart to the one column.
  • Insert the NINTEX LIST FORM webpart to the other column.

145889_pastedImage_3.png

• Edit the NINTEX LIST FORM webpart
    • Select the specific site it resides on
    • Select the desired list
    • Leave the Item ID empty
    • Click Apply - it complains happy.png

145890_pastedImage_9.png

• Save Page

Page will look similar to this:

145891_pastedImage_12.png

• Edit the page again.
  • Edit the List webpart
    • Add a connection to the form

145892_pastedImage_15.png

List should now display the 'Select' column

145893_pastedImage_16.png

• Edit the NINTEX LIST FORM webpart
  • We see that the Form Mode is set to Display.

145894_pastedImage_18.png

• Change that dropdown to Edit.

145895_pastedImage_20.png

• Click Apply
  • Save the page

You will now have a page that has a list and the corresponding EDIT form.

145896_pastedImage_24.png

145897_pastedImage_25.png

Hope this helps. 

Badge +8

Is there a way to be able to switch between the different form views? As an example:

User selects the form and reviews the information on it and sees that an edit needs to be made so now there is a options for them to go into edit mode but still only use the same two web-parts.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I would have to take a look at this deeper, but I would leave it as Edit Mode when creating the webparts. Since Nintex Forms doesn't really do views the same way as InfoPath, if you really wanted to do it you would have to create sections on your form and run rules to hide/show fields.

Hope this helps!

Badge +3

I think this is completely broken in Nintex Forms 2013.

Check the screen shot below

188988_pastedImage_1.png

Selected Item ID is 7 and Form is displaying Item ID 10

Event URL has the right Item ID Selected

Status%20Report%20Task%20By%20Project%20Manager.aspx?View=%7B1B10086D%2D86D8%2D42FC%2DA215%2D56F0373D493A%7D&SelectedID=7

Has anyone tried this List Form Webpart connection on Nintex Form 2013 and got it working.

If yes, please send us the webpart configuration for both webparts and/or any other special configuration

Badge +2

Hi Jesse!

This worked out for me. I actully ran into problems on page save where I got the error "Error:This page contains content or formatting that is not valid. You can find more information in the affected sections. " which is actually an error coming from the web part settings for the list form web part. To solve this, I found out I forgot to populate the "List name" field.

Thank for your solution.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Trying to do this in Office 365 with no luck--am I doing something wrong or is this not possible?

Badge +11

Hi Drew,

I just tried this in O365 myself and have to confirm that I see no way to get this working. I also tried a regular page viewer webpart which can be used to show a nintex item form but it won't accept a connection from the list view webpart. I'm afraid we would have to create a custom js webpart to receive equal functionality.

If anyone ever finds a solution for this in O365 please let me know!

Cheers

Philipp

Badge +2

Jesse McHargue‌ I've tried this approach on 2016 On-Prem,works fine, however when a user tries to access the page my information is loaded. I see that you are using it with a tasklist with 2 items, have you perhaps tested it, with a single item, which is unique to each user i.e MySite profile as an example. im testing this solution using an internal profile list.
Could this be a bug in nintex?