Sending an email to a manager

• 21 December 2011
  • 5 replies

Badge +2

Using a VS 2008 K2 Project to create a really simple approval process.

• 1 activity with a sharepoint client event.
  • 2 activities, each with an E-mail event. (1 for approved and 1 for declined).

I specify the process originator's manager for the destination users of the sharepoint client event. I drill down and select  Context Browser > Workflow Context Browser > Originator > Manager which leaves the placeholder ProcessOriginatorManager in the destination set.

This doesn't work. I end up with this error in the K2 service log (console) when I start the process from SharePoint:

25170 Executed Proc:Process1(48), Item:Manager Approval Activity.DestRule, Status:Error 

My first guess was to check Active Directory and make sure a manager was specified for the process originator (which it was).

My second guess was to check MOSS user profiles to see if the manager - employee info. was captured by the SSP (which it was).

So this leaves K2 Blackpearl as the issue. Why won't the process work when you specify the manager ?

(By the way, when I replace it with just ProcessOriginator, it works fine.)

5 replies

Badge +7

Check k2 workspace > management console > process name > instances, make note of the Originator user. Execute the UMUser smartobject using the smartobject service tester with the originator user's name, check to see if the UMUser smartobject returns a valid Manager for the user. What error is shown in the Error profile?

Badge +2

Thanks for replying. How specifically do I "Execute the UMUser smartobject" ? I'm not familiar with the smart object service tester.

Update:

I found the Smart Object Service Tester in the c:program filesk2 blackpearlin folder. I'll give it a try and post a follow-up.

Badge +7

That's the one you want to use

Badge +7

Is the issue resolved?

Badge +2

the manager in UMUser may contain K2:domain/managerID. Sending email to Manager throws an error saying K2:domain/managerID is not a valid email address.
my suggestion is to use a Replace function as below

Replace(ProcessOriginatorManager, 'K2:domain/', Empty String)@domain.com

which worked for me.