cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

System-created item in a list won't start a Nintex Workflow automatically

I have seen this issue on several threads but I was not able to find a recent clear answer.   I would like a workflow to start automatically when a task item is created from a previous workflow.   I have made sure the workflow settings are checked for "

0 Kudos
9 Replies
mandeepmavi
Nintex Newbie

Re: System-created item in a list won't start a Nintex Workflow automatically

Hi Amanda,

Unfortunately this by design that workflow don't run on items created or modified by 'System Account'.

I always use a variable to store 'Item ID' of the newly created item and run any required workflow as part of the original workflow that create these items.

This is the only way i have been able to use so far, please share if you find something different.

Hopefully this will help

Mandeep

Automation Master
Automation Master

How are you inserting the item into the list programmatically?  if you are using create item action in another workflow you could wrap that with an action set that runs as the workflow owner (ie you) so that the created by is you and not a system account?

dan_stoll
Nintex Newbie

If you can't get away from starting the workflow as a non system user, try this..

Open the SharePoint Management Shell as administrator and run the following to determine the value of the DeclarativeWorkflowAutoStartOnEmailEnabled property:

$spWebService = [Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPWebService]::ContentService
$spWebService.DeclarativeWorkflowAutoStartOnEmailEnabled

If the Value of the property is "False" you have to enable it by typing the following commands:

$spWebService = [Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPWebService]::ContentService
$spWebService.DeclarativeWorkflowAutoStartOnEmailEnabled = $true
$spWebService.Update()

Nintex Employee
Nintex Employee

This is something that I would do when approaching the same issue.

Simply wrap your "Create Item" action in an "Action set", and check Run as workflow owner.

This will run as you, provided that you publish the workflow as you and are not logged in as the System Account.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Mandeep,

This does work if I am creating a single task but I am creating several tasks at once so several IDs get created.  Have you found any way to do this for more than one "Assigned to"?

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Jesse,

I am running Nintex Workflow for Office 365 and do not see this option.

0 Kudos
Nintex Employee
Nintex Employee

Amanda Morris​ -

That stinks

I would take a look at what Dan Stoll​ mentioned below. That should work out for you.

0 Kudos
lpnolan
Nintex Newbie

Curious as to how you are able to start the workflow on a task item in the original workflow.

Where would I start the workflow?  I can't launch before the task action as I do not have an item ID until the task is created.  I don't want to launch the workflow after the task completes because my workflow is to set permissions on the task item to only allow Assigned To to complete the action.

0 Kudos
chimac
Nintex Newbie

Version: Nintex Workflow 2013 (3.2.3.2)

In CA:
Nintex Workflow Management -> Global Settings

Enable action to : Allow "System Account" to trigger conditional workflows.

In your Workflow Settings under "Start when items are created", it must be set to Conditional for it to work.

Like it if it helps!