How to default date/time control on form to empty

• 29 October 2015
  • 7 replies

Badge +6

The date/time column in my SharePoint list is configured to "none", but on the form it keeps defaulting to today's date. How can I get the form date/time control to be empty?

7 replies

Badge +7

I just tested it and following the SP list configuration should be the normal behavior.

Does the control in the form still connect to the field?

Are there multiple content types in the list?

Badge +17

Emily,

Can you provide a screenshot for us to see. I've testing this and its showing as blank for me.  You may want to check and ensure that the form control is set to blank as default value also. 

Badge +6

The calendar list app just has 1 content type and it is "event" content type and the content type end/start date/time fields default value is "none".

Badge +17

Emily,

I'm not sure what happened to my earlier response, but you could change the site content type but I would suggest just modifying the form fields.  You can create a new start and end time columns and use those.  This may not be ideal, but is one way to avoid the defaulting action you're seeing.

Badge +7

If you used her list template, you have seen that it is already in use in her company (about 500 items).

If you create new start/end date fields, those previous items would loose data. I think that's why she'd rather let the form as it was.

Badge +17

Pierre, thanks for that tip. I wasn't able to download the template and deploy it because I'm currently rebuilding my VM.

While working with existing items is always a challenge, the suggestion is still valid and one that could help other users who may not have existing items.  To your point about losing data, this is not what I have experienced. 

If you have existing fields in the form, you can create a new fields and replace the existing fields in the form without losing data in the list.  The list would simply have the original fields along with the new ones.  Now the trouble is getting your data to look and match correctly and for that here are two options:

1. You can migrate to a new list with the just the new fields/forms and move the content (old start/end dates) to the new list - this is a simple approach.

2. You can create the new columns in the same list and copy the data from the old columns to the new columns as part of the upgrade to the list/form.  This is just as simple as moving content from one excel column to another via the Datasheet view.

Both of those are options that could be done as part of the enhancement or upgrade to the form and the business process for users, but as truly dependent upon the needs and requirements. 

Badge +6

Thanks for that tip wink.pngI got it to work.

179078_pastedImage_0.png