cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Suggestion for licence expiry mechanics

When the workflow licence expires it effectively disables Nintex. This is very disruptive on either a production or even development environments that use the addin. Yes it is the client responsibility to remain licenced but in real life this is easily missed (in the absence of any reminder emails, system warning, or dedicated admin staff to keep an eye on this). I suggest on expiry Nintext enters a grace period where it still functions but displays ‘nag’ messages to remind people to register. This is common with trial software but I suggest to do this for the production licences. Better than bring someone’s core business processes to a halt.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Nintex Employee
Nintex Employee

Re: Suggestion for licence expiry mechanics

Hi Alex,

There is a difference between production licenses and development licenses.

A development license is linked to your Software Assurance contract.  If that contract expires, the development license expires.

A production license is not linked to your Software Assurance contract.  A production license is perpetual. If you buy Nintex Workflow, you will have this perpetual license, which will be valid forever in your production environment.  When you Software Assurance expires, it will have no effect on your workflows that are running or workflows that you design.

The only reason you may have a problem in production, is if you still have an expiring license or trial license that you installed into production.  In that case, yes, you will need to contact you Nintex Account Manager and request a proper product license file.

cheers,

Vadim

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Thank you for clarifying Vadim. While my suggestion does not really apply to production then, I still think the proposed mechanics for non-production licences would be appreciated.

In my case my development environment lost Nintex Worflow functionality for almost a day. When we were trying to hit project deadlines and were paying day rates for contract developers. Not business critical but inconvenient and stressful

0 Kudos
hgaynor
Nintex Newbie

IF you are upgrading to SharePoint 2013 from SharePoint 2010, Nintex will give you a 2 week license for the 2013 workflows at no cost.  If it takes longer than 2 weeks to do the migration then you need to buy a temporary license for both systems.  With all the tasks to do during the migration, I missed the 2 week window to request the full production license for SP2013.  Our workflows stopped working for 1 full day in production before we could get the full license.  Very stressful, completely my fault.  But a grace license from the first line helpdesk would have been helpful.  Everything went through a single person to get the final license - and she was busy that day.  The lessoned learned was:  keep track of your licenses and we really depend on Nintex for our day to day business!

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Vadim Tabakman​, on my production environment the licence is expired but all the workflows are running as they should except few glitches like run when modified (conditional) doesn't fires all the times. Is this due to expired licence or is it absolutely different problem?

Nintex Employee
Nintex Employee

Hi Ratnesh,

no that should have nothing to do with your license.  Check your SP logs and if that doesn't help, maybe try a simple condition and see if that works.

Vadim

ashirax
Nintex Newbie

Hi Alex 

the description you shared is valid till date

thanks

0 Kudos