cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Strategy Check

Jump to solution

Let me tell you upfront that I am nuts about Nintex. Nice products, nice people, nice partner.

But I am puzzling with what their strategy is.

Having Forms, Workflow and Mobile, separate products, probs because Nintex started with Workflow in the first place.

But are they?
In my view they are not.

Forms = GUI

Workflow = Logics

Mobile = Anyplace, Anytime, Anywhere (Triple A)

In fact there is one Nintex, and this product will cover most of the desired functionality on top of SharePoint towards all devices (a browser could be seen
as a device…). Is this the Nintex Strategy?

And if it is, how is this settled with Microsoft? It seems to me Microsoft is moving in the same direction, leaving Infopath (= uncoupling GUI and Logics), moving around with unsolid stories of some kind of forms…

What do you think?

Labels: (2)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: Strategy Check

Jump to solution

Great questions and a good topic. My company works as a Partner with Nintex and I have had this discussion before and opinions are vastly different when looking into the future or Internet of Things.

But to first answer the separate products question. They are really just separate features, and thankfully we can be billed separately based on what features we want to use. Because they are each licensed features it seems as if they are separate products. But they are so well connected, an environment that has them all you would never notice a silo or separation when designing. If you are in a workflow and you need a custom form on a task you click one button and your are creating a custom Nintex form for it. Complete integration. Technically, it is a SharePoint best practice to have these in separate SharePoint features. Having Forms and Workflow as differing costs allow companies to strategize their custom solutions and look for cost saving. It was easier to not include Nintex Forms when Infopath forms was already existing and in use on sites. But InfoPath has many gaps and is not as easy to customize as Nintex Forms and companies are seeing the use in the product. (I'm sure many do not agree with that statement, but just my opinion as I have worked with both).

Nintex strategy is "Workflow for Everyone" and Anywhere. And I think they do accomplish that with the use of their suite of products. Part of this is providing a means of workflow and forms design outside of IT. I have trained business users in HR, Accounting, and other departments that are not a part of IT and seen them create automated processes in Nintex with great success.

Microsoft is leaving Forms for now, but there will be several players for custom forms especially in Office 365. It's just that Nintex Forms has a huge head start as a custom forms solution in SharePoint. With the use of the App Store in Office 365, Microsoft welcomes vendor improvements.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Re: Strategy Check

Jump to solution

Thank you Andrew for responding to this.

I agree with the fact that the products could be build seperately but if I am not mistaken: things in 365 tend to go to one product...The benefit is that companies will get all functionality available and with enough knowledge (by training) they will deploy it as well. In my view: profits to everyone.

I do not think Microsoft is leaving Forms, they have to fix the gap which was instituted by leaving InfoPath. The main reason for that was that Infopath was allowing logics into the Form and by that make it unmaintanable. The Nintex strategy is superior to that. The real question is: will Microsoft adapt that, like they have adapted CoSign (a few days later then Nintex).

The reason for asking all these is because I would like Nintex to say yes!!! As a partner (I'm with the onexacademy.com providing training material online) I would welcome that yes and evangelize this beautiful thought to everybody.

Thanks again Andrew

0 Kudos