Lookup field showing no options for some users

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi,

I have a lookup field in my list, and is part of a Nintex 365 form. Some users, however, are unable to see anything in the drop down list.

I have tried changing the field to option buttons, however they are unable to see them. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can fix this?

Thanks.

10 replies

Badge +9

Hi Katherine,

Can they see the content of the lookup list?

Maybe it is a security issue.

Christophe

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi,

No, they can't see anything in the lookup field. The group 'everyone except external users' has contribute permissions for all lists on the site. Is there anywhere else I can check the permissions? Is there any other sort of issue that would cause this?

Thanks

Katherine

Badge +9

Hi,

I suggest to send the link to the List containing the lookup values to check that they have access it.

Regards,

Christophe

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi Christophe,

I'm afraid I'm not entirely sure what you mean...would you mind explaining a little further?

Thanks!

Katherine

Badge +9

Katherine,

I suspect that some of your users does not see the values because they do not have access to list in which you maintained your lookup values.

Can you ask one of them to open this list to check if they have access?

Christophe

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi Christophe,

I considered that this morning, so I checked all the users access rights, and they have either contribute or edit rights. One user has higher for both lists, and she still can't see the list options.

I also added my own dummy user to the edit group and logged in as the dummy user and couldn't see the drop down options. Unfortunately, I can't ask the users to do anything at the moment as it's currently 8pm here (I'm in Australia).

Is there anything else I can check when I get to work in the morning? Other than issues with permission levels, is there anything else that can cause this issue?

Badge +9

Katherine,

So who is able to see the list of values except you?

Maybe next step is to check that they can see the list of values outside the context of the Nintex Form.

You can try it by adding this lookup column in a view and use Quick Edit by clicking Edit in the top bar of the view. By clicking on the column, you should see the list of values in a drop down box.

Good luck,

Christophe

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi,

Thank you for all your help on this. I was hitting a brick wall everywhere I turned.

I'll double check this when I get to work in the morning, but I just checked with a dummy user and found I was unable to view the dropdown list from the SharePoint edit list view.

For all users to be able to see the options in the dropdown list, they need at least read access on the lists rights? Are there permissions settings elsewhere I'm overlooking?

Thanks.

Katherine

Badge +9

Hi Katherine,

Then I suggest to create a new blank list in which you will add some values.

Then link your lookup column to this new list and make SURE that the selected column contains the list of values you want.

Good luck and maybe ... good night

Christophe

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi Christophe,

I created a new list with the lookup values, and created a new field using the new list as the lookup. Then I logged in as a dummy user, and went to the quick edit view of the list with the lookup column, and the new field had lookup values while the old one did not.

Strangely though, both lists containing lookup values have the same permissions - inheriting from the parent site. But, the old list has a workflow on it that removes all the permissions and provides read access to the user. This, I think is causing the issue happy.png

Thanks for all your help!

Katherine