cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Not applicable

Start Workflow Permissions?

This is probably a simple configuration issue but I have a user that has permission to add items in a list but when they do the workflow that is attached to the list does not start.

Is there some underlying permission users need to have to initiate a list workflow?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Not applicable

Re: Start Workflow Permissions?

Hi James, to start a workflow you will need to have "Contribute" permissions.

http://nintexdownload.com/helpfiles/nw2013/NintexWorkflow2013UserManual.html#Nintex.Workflow.Securit...

However, it may be your workflow settings which are causing the workflow to not start when a new item is added to the list. In the workflow designer, click on Workflow Settings, and select yes in the "start when items are created" field.

Starting your Workflow

Let us know how you go,

Cheers

Em

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Thank you Emily that will give me a good place to start. Entirely possible the user doesn't have contribute.

Not applicable

Hey Emily, quick follow up:

When you say contribute is that a collection of specific permission flags in SharePoint? If I created a custom group that had a custom permission set (not saying I want to) would there be a set of permission flags that would be "close enough"?

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hey James, no worries! You'll need to give contribute level as that's the bare minimum. If you chose to create a custom group, it would have to include everything that contribute grants. See this article for more info: Permission levels and permissions 

0 Kudos
inimri
Nintex Newbie

Hi James,

1) go to site content (where you created the workflow)

2) open "Workflow Tasks" list > go to the permission of that list

3) give "contribute" permission for the users you want to start the workflow.

**please note:

if the list inherits the permission from the site, and you didn't give this group "contribute" permission for this site, you can stop the inheritance and grant the group "contribute" permission.

if you want to create a custom permission level, the minimum permission to start a workflow is this:

>under List Permissions:

-add items.

-edit items.

-open items

under Site Permissions:

-browse directories

-use remote interfaces

-open

hope this helps