cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
djlo
Nintex Newbie

Start Subworkflow via Web Service. How can I detect/wait until the subworkflow is finished?

I have a content based Workflow and as part of it I need to call another content type based workflow (PDF creation). The normala start workflow action does not support this type of workflows. To start the Subworkflow via web service works well, but the main workflow need to wait until the subworkflow is finished (the PDF document is available).

How can I realize that?

Labels: (1)
19 Replies
burkslm
Nintex Newbie

Re: Start Subworkflow via Web Service. How can I detect/wait until the subworkflow is finished?

When the initial workflow is complete, you can't call another site workflow which would call your content type based workflow?

0 Kudos
djlo
Nintex Newbie

Re: Start Subworkflow via Web Service. How can I detect/wait until the subworkflow is finished?

Hello ,

the initial workflow is not complete. The subworkflow is part of the initial workflow, but the initial workflow should wait until the subworkflow is finished. With the start workflow action in a library it is easy possible because there is a tick box available. I need the same functionallity for a content type base workflow.

0 Kudos
Automation Master
Automation Master

In my experience, the PDF creation action is at the mercy of the SharePoint Word automation service. At times the action may complete for the workflow, but the document is created for another hour. Do you know the name of what the file will be before it is created? Is the file being created in another library. You could have the parent workflow loop and pause for an hour until the document is located, or complete the parent workflow and a workflow on the destination library starts up on the new item. If in the same library you can filter the start by extension too.

djlo
Nintex Newbie

We use a third party tool to generate the PDF. To work with a pause is a easy way, but not acceptable by our user, when they request a PDF version they need it less or more immediatly.

Again, I would like to create content type based workflows, a workflow in a library which starts on a new item does not fulfill this request.

0 Kudos
Automation Master
Automation Master

Just so I understand better, what is the need that requires that the workflow be content type based? It is possible to filter workflows based on content type, but are list workflows.

0 Kudos
djlo
Nintex Newbie

We have lot of lists and project managers are able to create new website to manage their projects. To provide/maintain lists with the workflows is not really managable. As long we are able to provide content type based workflows everything is easy to handle.

0 Kudos
Automation Master
Automation Master

That's a good reason.

The tool that generates PDFs, I assume it creates the file in the same library it was requested. We haven't discussed what the subworkflow's intentions were. Was it to email the pdf document as an attachment when available?

0 Kudos
djlo
Nintex Newbie

The libraries contains folders and subfolders with different types of documents (Word, Excel, PDFs aso.) To keep a clear overview about the origin documents and the PDF rendition we would like to collect all generated documents in a subfolder (___CONVERTED PDF) on the top level of the library

0 Kudos
Automation Master
Automation Master

have you had any further progress on this?

0 Kudos