cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Start Nintex workflow from file upload

Hi All

New user to Nintex and been playing around but struggling to get a specific workflow working correctly.

I want to start the workflow from a file (there will be multiple files to this location) uploaded into a specific folder. It then goes through notifications, changes to the files and approval. I am struggle to identify how I select the specific file which would start/run the workflow.

Thanks

Ross

Labels: (2)
15 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: Start Nintex workflow from file upload

Hi Ross,

I may misunderstood what you need.

To start a workflow from a specific file, you just have to select it and then select the "File" ribbon in order to see "Workflow" button.

You will finally find all the workflows you're able to start from this file.

Hope this helps

Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Hi Ross,

Pierre has the right steps to get the workflow to start manually.

The other option is to configure your workflow to start automatically, as soon as you upload the file.  This is configured into the Workflow Settings of the workflow you are designing.

cheers,

Vadim

Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

Hi Vadim Tabakman​,

I have/had issues with automatic starting of the workflow when the file is uploaded. My scenario (environment: SP 2010 with Nintex workflow 2010) was to start the workflow automatically on upload, checkout the document by ADMIN account (so that no one makes edits while in workflow). The problem was when you upload the document, there is an intermediate window which pops up to enter the Name, Title (and other form fields, if any). When you hit OK on that screen then the document upload is "complete". The problem is that the document was actually uploaded and workflow was started while the intermediate pop-up window was still open. So when I hit OK on the pop-up, SharePoint tries to UPDATE the document fields but fails since its checked out by the workflow and throws an error.

I tried looking for Nintex article/forums for solution but could not find any. Is there an article/forum issue addressing this?

Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Hi Sagir,

I've hit that before.  I don't know why SP auto starts the workflow, before the properties windows has been completed.  It's kind of silly.

What I'd recommend, is that you change your workflow so it has a conditional start on the Created event.  Where it checks if certain fields have been filled in.  Also, that you have an on Modified event also, so that once the document is updated (the user fills in the properties windows and submits), then the workflow starts.

The other options is to have your workflow start, but use a wait for item update or loop action to check the fields until they have been filled in.  Then continue with the rest of the workflow and do your check out etc.

cheers,

Vadim

Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

Hi Vadim,

The issue with both of your options is that, my users do NOT have anything (no additional info) to update in the properties window. They just have to blindly hit OK on that pop-up. This annoys them! But I did implement the option 1 where the workflow starts on Item Modified (screenshot below). Now the users are forced to select some information (introduced a "AutoStartWorkflow" drop-down with default as NO) on the properties window which tells my workflow that the update has happened and now it can start. This again is annoying to the users since they are forced to select irrelevant information. This is a very common usecase and I am pretty sure that there has to be a better and clean solution for this issue.

AutoStartWorkflow01.jpg

Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Why not add a checkbox that says something like 'Ready to Submit'? The workflow can check for that.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

Whatever you have Checkbox ("Ready to Submit) or dropdown ("AutoStartWorkflow") is the same thing and doesn't solve the problem of users having to select/check/tick additional information which is not relevant for them.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Make it default to True. And check in the workflow for True.

Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

Assuming that we are discussing automatic starting of workflow on Item Update (since Item Add has issues), how would the system know what was the update in your example? Since the default value is True and when the workflow starts after the update it would still be True unless the user manually changes its value (to False). What I implemented was that the default value was set to NO (False in case of checkbox) and then user has to select "YES" (True in case of checkbox) to automatically start the workflow. So the workflow wont start unless YES is selected from the screen.

Also, in the workflow, at the very beginning I am checking if the value is YES, then immediately I set it to NO, otherwise any update to the document (or properties) would again attempt to start the second instance of the same workflow on the same item resulting in error.

Accept as Solution Reply