Is there a way to change the status of a completed workflow to show it has not been completed?

• 6 January 2016
  • 7 replies

Badge +4

An automatic workflow was accidently set off by a user who didn't understand how the process would work.  Is it possible to either change the Completed status to a different word or remove it completely?  The user doesn't want the manager to be confused by the word Completed for that document.

7 replies

Badge +6

Hi, do you "just" want to change the "completed" standard label  to something else? Are you talking of the status that contains "InProgress, Error Occured, completed..."?

Badge +4

Yes, that is the status to which I referred.  The user actually just wanted it to be removed (making it look like the workflow had never been run), but was open to the option of changing the wording until the manager actually did approve the document and kick off the workflow.  I know I can workaround it by importing the same workflow with a new name and hiding the old column in the SharePoint view (since this is a brand new process), but I wanted to see if there was an answer to this question in case it would arise in the future and creating the new workflow wasn't a viable option.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Kathy -

In this case, the workflow really did complete already, correct?  So even if you change the value of Completed status... the workflow would still be in a completed state.  Once the workflow is completed, that same workflow could be run again when it is ready.  Your suggested workaround might be the easiest way to resolve this as a short term solution.

However, if you think this could happen again, and if you want ability to control the value of the status column from outside the workflow, you might consider the following:

1. Modify the document library and create your own new column workflow status column of type choice (or single line of text).
  2. Save the workflow with a new name
  3. Go to the workflow Settings and uncheck the option for "Create workflow status column" (see below)
  4. Modify the workflow logic to update the new status column per your business requirements.
  5. Publish the workflow

When Nintex automatically creates the status column, there is no easy way (or it might be impossible) to modify that value directly.  Nintex controls updates to that column. But with this approach, you would control the status updates either from the workflow or directly.  Note that when designing workflows, its common to use both the Nintex generated status column but have an additional status that the workflow updates.  The Nintex generated column provides a high level status (e.g. In-Progress, Completed) but the custom status column can have more specific status values, based on business logic.

162859_pastedImage_4.png

Userlevel 6
Badge +22

Hi Kathy,

I have a tried and tested method to remove the status but I just want to say that this is not condoned or supported by Nintex.

Firstly download SharePoint Manager from SharePoint Manager 2013 - Home

There is a 2010 version if you are using 2010.

Install this application on one of your servers on the farm and then navigate to the List/Library in the app.

Click the + to expand the items for that list.

Click the + pn the Fields item.

Scroll down to find the name of the field that has the workflow status in it and click on it.

The field properties will be presented.

Scroll down to the Schema Xml property and change ReadOnly="True" to ReadOnly="False"

This will make the Field editable.

Go to SharePoint and navigate to your List/Library.

Go into Quick edit mode and delete the Workflow Status and then click Stop to get out of Quick Edit mode.

Go Back to SharePoint Manager and change the property back to "True" and you are done.

Badge +6

Both solutions would work but I would consider first the Tom Castiglia's Solution that would me more compliant with the product even if Simon Muntz​'s solution it definitly the one that does exactly what you want (it may create trouble in the report parts of the product if you change the standard text)

Badge +4

Thank you.  I can't makes changes to the workflow now, but this will be very helpful for next year's budget process.

Badge +4

Thank you for this.  I would probably avoid it, but I do appreciate knowing this is an option.