Expense Claim Solution

• 13 October 2014
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

Hello,

I'd like to know if its possible for me to create an expense claim solution that has the ability to add multiple line items using a sharepoint list, when i tried creating just a workflow and disabling the smartforms,workflow and report options from the K2 integration tab in sharepoint , the smart objects created didnt have IDs hence i was unable to map destinations effectively , do i need to create sql database and user active directory for the employee to be pre populated?

Ill really appreciate a response soonest

4 replies

Badge +10

Instead of creating an SQL database, using a smartbox smartobject might be the best solution.  Are there any other unique fields in both smartobjects you can join on?

Can you provide some additional detail about the overall design of the solution and each endpoint?  I'm trying to figure out how/why sharepoint is involved.

Badge +8

Jay,

It looks like your asking a couple different questions here.  I would recommend tackling one at a time:

1) 'd like to know if its possible for me to create an expense claim solution that has the ability to add multiple line items using a sharepoint list

yes.  SharePoint and SQL make excellent backend data sources for storing user data.  If someone needs to create multiple line items, I'll generally fire them when they create each line item...not all at once.  For example, if a user is creating an Expense item...I will update/add the item (on the spot) when they click add.

2) do i need to create sql database and user active directory for the employee to be pre populated?

No, the user is accessed via a smartobject.  The Active Directory users can be accessed by creating a SmartObject around your active direcory users and/or groups.  You can access the smartobject via SmartForm or Workflow.  You also have access to system generated users, i.e. currently logged on user or that users manager.

If you would like to dig in further into one of these areas let us know.  We just more specific information.

***A great tool to get use to is the Service Object Tester.exe, found in: C:Program Files (x86)K2 blackpearlBin.  Create a shortcut to that program and you can test AD users and create new smartobjects.

Badge +2

Thanks Guys, 

let me first of clarify what the solution is supposed to do 

An expense claim solution for a company that the user can submit his /her multiple expense claims 

i used sharepoint to create a list that is suposed to have the users information and the expense claim details , however , i want to have the employee information populated when the user logs , as well as anyother user that logs in ( im using a preconfigured test VM and im logged in as the administartor so im not sure if i can log in as another user::say if i create a new user in the active directory)  

i dont kow if there is a way to create a list/form on K2 that can add multiple line items 

From what i deduced , to add multple items , i have to add the expense claim detail view to the form  , and then i have to create/edit the rules that trigger them , im not to famiiar with workflows , so ill prefer for the rules to have been created ,and if its not , then a guide will be fine 

so conclusively, i would just like the best possible way to build an expense claim solution from scratch using a preconfigured test environment for demo purposes , showing how k2 helps in automating workflows 

Badge +10

Not a solution, but you should be able to shift-click internet explorer, or any other application from the start menu, and select "Run as..." to test your solution.  It should then prompt you to login as a different user.