Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
harfmt
Nintex Newbie

Site Workflow security access - who can manually start a site workflow

Jump to solution

Hi

I have some site workflows that a scheduled to run automatically at set times (via Schedule Site Workflow). How do I restrict users from accessing and changing/deleting the schedule? Or perhaps from running the workflow itself?

Thanks

Joanne

0 Kudos
12 Replies
achilles_aditya
Nintex Newbie

Re: Site Workflow security access - who can manually start a site workflow

Jump to solution

User should have Edit or Contribute permission to start the workflow manually

achilles_aditya
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution
harfmt
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

The workflow is a scheduled workflow. I don't want humans (except me) able to start the workflow at all.

0 Kudos
greenawayr
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Then in the workflow settings you can deselect, Start Workflow Manually. You could also select the "Require Manage Lists" check box to raise the ownership level required to start a workflow, this would mean the user would need to be site owner to start the workflow.

cassymfreeman
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Not sure it's only site owners though:

the workflow will require manage list rights which by default, the minimal SharePoint security permission required is Contributor.

harfmt
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Not sure that any of these are what I'm after. They can't start the workflow manually as it's not associated with a form or list. It is a stand alone 'scheduled' site workflow. This may also be why I can't find the "Require Manage Lists" option in the settings.

I guess the issue is how do a lock a workflow schedule down?

Not applicable

Jump to solution

People! Joanne Morris​ ask how to restrict access to Workflow schedules page. Intresting thing that users with access only with read level can open this page directly and edit it! /_layouts/NintexWorkflow/WorkflowSchedules.aspx

Looks like a bug. They dont have any link to this page, but can open directly. Try it.

0 Kudos
greenawayr
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Seems logical. The users have Read access, they therefore can Read a page in the layouts folder. If they don't have access to the link, are they really likely to locate the URL and furthermore, do you believe that your users are malicious and would want to make a change to something like this???

I can understand not wanting them to have a link they can follow, you can get plenty of users who would be inquisitive enough to follow a link and -play around with a few settings, but to be able to track down and URL which would almost certainly involve doing research, and then making the change, suggests malicious intent which is not really something you should have to deal with when creating an internal application. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I know it's seems very unlikely but it can happen, so why give to them a chance?

0 Kudos