Reminder Notifications sent early

Badge +2

I expect Reminder Notifications (flexi task)  to be sent when an item is over due; they are being sent the day after the workflow starts, even though the due date is not for another week.

Is this standard?  Assign to do reminders are sent after the due date.

15 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

What are your flexi task reminder settings set to? 

Badge +2

Number of Reminders : 3

Time between reminders: 1 day

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

So I think the "reminder" is not for overdue but rather for "hey don't forget about this task email we sent you yesterday / last week / last month" - to ensure that it does not go overdue.

Badge +2

It is different behavior than tasks sent with the Assign To Do action.  How do we confirm?  If my due date is 2 weeks out, I don't want to send reminder notifications as soon as the task is assigned.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Alright - let's say that you want to send a reminder 2 days before the due date.

If your due dates are standard - for example, your task is set to be due in 14 days - I'd make your reminder 12 days. That way they'll get a reminder 2 days before.

For overdue items, you may want to check out this thread:

https://community.nintex.com/message/42833

You can also use workflow logic - for example, set your due date with a variable and then do "variable-2", for example, to send a reminder 2 days before that date.

Badge +2

My due date is a field on the list; entered in the Actions tab; typically 7 days out.

Where are you recommending I set the reminder in 12 days (would be 5 in my case)?  In the Days between reminders?  I would want the first sent in 5 days, but then every day for a total of 3.  Is that not possible?

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

So this is your requirement:

• Due date is in 7 days
  • Reminder sent 2 days before (5 days after initial task)
  • Then 1 day (6 days after task; )
  • Then 1 day (7 days after task; this is the due date)
  • Then 1 day (8 days after task; -1 of due date)

The first one sent in 5 days is easy (as I'm sure you've gathered!)

1 more for 3 days in a row, though ... for right now you'll need someone smarter than me happy.png I think this would end up being some kind of workflow logic.. let me put out the call to the Workflow Avengers here silly.png  

‌  ‌  ‌ 

Badge +2

It is where that "5 days" would go; if needed.  It works for my user if the Reminders are sent at the due date or after.  From what I can see on the Flexi Task configure screens 

I can define the Due Date on the Actions Tab

Then can define the Number of Reminders and time between on the Reminders tab.

I don't see where I can define when the Reminders start; override the start at the assignment of the task.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Janet Dygert‌ - 

I would recommend using a site workflow to manage your reminders as it gives you a bit more control around frequency and content.

If you think about it as a "watcher" workflow that is triggered every morning, and it looks at your list and finds all the items need to be addressed (these are the items that are due in X days, or are past due, etc.). You can query the list to get all the needed information, and build your notification as needed (due date, assigned to, details, etc.).

With this comes the flexibility to change the interval of when the "watcher" workflow kicks off (due to site workflow scheduling), what items to target (how many days out do you notify users), and it does not interfere with the typical list/library workflow that is already running on the item.

The reminders in the flexi task, as you discovered, start as soon as the task is created and assigned. While you do it this why, you need to setup each flexi task action as needed. A site workflow lets you set it once and forget about it happy.png

Rhia Wieclawek‌ gave you some great insight and a good read with the blog post she linked. I would start there. Let us know if you have any questions and I'm sure one of us can assist!

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello,

I think Rhia Wieclawek‌ did a great job explaining all the functionality you'll be able to get with out of the box reminders (she's an Avenger too).  Check out Andrew Glasser‌ second answer on this post that utilizes a site workflow on a schedule, to pull off sending reminders.  I'm thinking you could do something similar to this, but modified based on your requirements:  Send notification every 14 days if review not completed    You'd have to query the due date and the status and then send your own reminders based on that.  

Hope that helps,

Mike

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

(See what happens when you multi-task too much... someone writes the same you were writing and beats you to it... ) grin.png

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

‌ - 

Great minds think alike! 

Badge +2

Thank you all for the input.  I will discuss with my client and determine the best solution.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Great - let us know how that goes & if you need any more input! In the mean time if you've found that an answer here helped you out, please mark it as correct.

Cheers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Looking forward to your response ‌!