Display lookup info from an external list

Badge +9

Is it possible to display lookup info on runtime in the form with info coming from the external list (external content type)?

In my scenario I would like the user to be able to select a value from the external content type and then lookup additional values and display it on the form? Is this doable?

I tried the standard lookup runtime function but it doesn't seem to be working.

10 replies

Badge +8

Hello Igor Karon​ – Does the List View control fit your needs?

This control would allow you to show the user multiple columns of data associated with an external list and you can filter/show those results based on another control's value using the "Filter listed items" property.

Badge +9

Hmmm... Not sure exactly how I could use it when creating a new item. Can you please give me a little more information about it? Thanks!

Badge +8

Without some more context on the specifics of your problem I'm not sure how helpful I'll be, but I'll give it a shot. happy.png

Going off your sample, you could setup a List Lookup which allows the user to select an existing location and then see any items in the external list (through a List View control) filtered based on what you've selected in the list lookup.

For instance, in the below screenshot, I've got an external list with location data which is being filtered based on the ID I'm specifying in the list control. This filter like I mentioned above is driven by the Filter listed items property of the list view control.

Screen Shot 2016-05-02 at 3.22.33 PM.png

What you then need to do with the data would significantly impact the implementation direction, but this is a solid route when display/reference is the primary goal.

Badge +9

Trying to experiment with this but when I go to setup the List View control I dont see my external list as an option. I only see regular SharePoint lists. Any idea why?

Badge +8

I've noticed the "refresh" at times doesn't immediately re-populate based on what you've selected in the Source SharePoint site so you might try it a few times. I'd also use the arrow to the right of that control to make sure you've got the path correct (UI selection instead of manual entry).

Once you do this, you should see your other lists. happy.png

Badge +9

Regular SharePoint list show up immediately. I waited and refreshed a couple of times by the External List is not showing up.

Badge +8

What's your definition of an external list? Different farm? Different site collection?

Badge +9

I just use Microsoft's definition:

Differences between native and external lists - Office Support

How to: Create External Lists in SharePoint

Thanks!

Badge +1

I also have the same issue rolling on my head. trying to figure out how to fill value='CustomerID' where i have primary key setup in external list (connected to SQL table)

I upgraded to latest & greatest Nintex Forms 2013 ( 2.9.2.20 ) version sad.png No luck

here are my steps. Please let me know solution to this dropdown also when i save form doesnt save this value (hope as Value='0' for all items in drop down list, it doesnt save anything to coloumn)

Lookup List which has Drop down connected to external share point list.

On the form drop down list which has value =0

Lookup list which i configured external sharepoint list doesnt pick up BDCIdentity

Badge +8

Good day,

I am having the same issue.  Does the lookup() work with external lists?

Thanks,

Jennifer