cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Show display name in email notification

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I am wondering if there is a simple way to return a persons display name from a people/group field.  I have a workflow running that sends a notification to the person marked in the "responsible" field once the field is populated, and would like to open with their name.

I found the discussion linked below which is basically the same question but wondered if anyone could help dumb it down so that I, as a beginner, could implement one of the solutions.

Nintex Connect - Show display name in email notification for person or group field

Any help would be appreciated!

Labels: (1)
29 Replies
murphybp2
Nintex Newbie

Re: Show display name in email notification

Jump to solution

Use the “Query user profile” action. Put the people/group field in the User input. You can retrieve the user first name and last name and store those in variables. Then just drop those in your email.

Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

What version are you using John?  On-prem or O365?  With O365 there's a formatting button marked fx next to the user fields where you can reformat.  With on-prem, apart from Brendan's suggestion, I wonder if you could also use the build string operators / regular expression to reformat the name?

Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi guys,

Unfortunately I don't have the "Query User Profile" action.  I am using SharePoint 2010.  Did it not exist in that version?

@Chris I'm sorry but I'm not sure about on-prem vs o365.

0 Kudos
murphybp2
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

No, it exists in 2010. That’s the version I use. You may want to talk with your administrators and see if they have disabled it for some reason. So what actions do you have under the Integration section?

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Call Web Service, Execute SQL, Query LDAP, Query XML, Update XML, Web request

0 Kudos
dan_stoll
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

query user profile is a enterprise version feature.. The other option is to pass the username / email address to AD via the Query LDAP action and pull the first name from there. Bundle this up as a uda for reusability.. Sorry for being vague, I'm watching Godzilla and it is Friday night. If it hasn't been solved for you by Monday when I'm back at work I'll post it here for you

Not applicable

Jump to solution

Can you explain how one would pass the username to AD via the Query LDAP action for a rookie?

I was not able to find this type of action explained out in a way that I could figure out how to do it.

0 Kudos
dan_stoll
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution
dan_stoll
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

or better still try this out

Retrieve a user's Display name from their login