Send Overdue notification to one / more approvers

Badge +4

My workflow has three approval stages, If Approver A approves, Approver B gets notified, same with Approver C. Our business requirement is,

•       Notify Approver who haven't approved (either A / B / C) the item and if it's due 3 days, after 3 days notify every day until the item is approved.
  • If any of the Approver is on vacation, Can we skip him and send notification to next Approver (or) if they set up some auto-redirect in their email? ( I am not sure, whether this is possible, because when they are on Vacation, usually they setup automatic email redirect )

This is how, each of my Approval stages are configured,

Approver A   Approver B

Can someone help ?

11 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

If the person goes on vacation, they can setup a delegate for their tasks.  If you click on your name in the upper right hand corner of a site, then select the Nintex menu, you'll see an option for task delegation.  You'd just need to teach the users to do that when they go on vacation. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

On second thought, if you use the Assign Flexi-Task that will help you with both your issues.  You can set up a number of reminders at intervals like you're wanting.  You can also setup an escalation process.  So if someone doesn't respond to a task after a certain time period, it could be delegated to someone else.  

Badge +4

Brendan Murphy Thanks for your help.

Can you show me a sample, how to setup 3 day overdue as first notification and 1 day after it, in Flexi-Task ?

Badge +4

This is really cool. Just confirming, this is what you're speaking about, right ?

Will this be automatically turned off after the specified time ? (or) User just need to delete this delegation, once they are back ?

Many thanks for this suggestion.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Yes, that's what I'm referring to.  If you click on "Task Delegation" you'll see that you can set up time intervals.  So someone could even pre-plan a delegation time. 

Badge +4

Yes, I was able to figure out delegation time. What if, the user wants to turn off his delegation ? Do they need to delete this (or) will it be expired after 'Until the end of' date ?

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Unfortunately the default Flex-Task reminders only allow for a static time period.  For your scenario you would need to configure an alternate way for the daily reminders.  The easiest way would be to create a site workflow that queries your task list for any outstanding tasks that are more than 3 days old, and then send those people assigned to the task a reminder.  You can schedule that workflow to run every day at a specific time. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

It will stop delegating after the end date. 

Badge +4

Got it, Thank you.

Badge +4

Hi Brendan Murphy‌,

While I was going through different threads, I found your thread here, which is similar to my requirement. Upon your suggestion, I am trying to create a workflow for my "Task List", but below are the points blocking me.

• I don't have due date in my task list, what should I use as "The date in the Calculate date", to check for my 3 day reminder. 
  • Is there a way to map relation between Task list and Original list, i.e., If item A is created, how can I identify item A tasks in 'Task List' ? I might need some information about item A, to include in '3 day' reminder notification.
  • How to loop notification every day, after the item passed due of 3 days ?

Can you please help me with this ?

Userlevel 3
Badge +9
  • Task lists by default have a "due date".  Is the field not in your list, or are you saying that the tasks themselves don't have a set due date?  What date are you wanting the 3 day reminder to based on?  That's the date you should use.  The only other dates you'd have is created date, start date, or modified date. 
  • Assuming your workflow is running on item A, when the task is created it is automatically related to the item it was created for.  There will be a field called "Related Content" in the tasks list that you can filter on.
  • I'd suggest using a site workflow rather than the solution in thread you found.  You can schedule it to run daily.

Just a community note.  These are different questions then the original.  I know they are related to your overall problem you're trying to solve for, but if your original question is resolved, it would be better to mark the answer for that, and open a new discussion for new questions.