Combining Update XML and Query User Profile?

• 10 January 2017
  • 3 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +5

Here's the situation: I have a Nintex form with a repeating section that includes People Picker controls.  Each People Picker control spits out a user ID string (like i:0#.w|us1234567) into a node of the XML, and I save all the XML to a column in a SharePoint list.  I have a need to turn each user ID string into a readable name, which I know I can do with the Query User Profile action.  But what I really want is to do that in place, so that inside the XML that is in the SharePoint column those user ID strings all turn into human-readable names.  Does anyone know of a way to do this?  I'm guessing that there's no way to call the Query User Profile action from inside XSL...

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

I wouldn't replace user identifier savaed by PP control. if you then view the item in form, PP control need not to resolve it back to a user.

I would rather add one another control to repeating section that would hold user display name.

if you are at least on SP Standard you can do it directly within forms - just place calculated value control into RS and use formula with userProfileLookup() function to query for user display name.

Badge +5

Thanks Marian, this works.  I just put a calculated calue control in the repeating section and set it to run a userProfileLookup() function on the People Picker.  Because of our SharePoint farm setup (user accounts are returned in the form i:0#.w|us123456), I actually had to use two functions, like so: userProfileLookup(subString(Owner,7,9), "PreferredName").  Then, since I didn't want the calculated value control to be visible, and setting it to "Visible: No" in the Appearance section of the settings made the value not show up in the XML, I just made the text color on the calculated value control match the background color.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Then, since I didn't want the calculated value control to be visible, and setting it to "Visible: No" in the Appearance section of the settings made the value not show up in the XML

place calc control into panel and assign formatting rule to the panel that hides it.

that way you will get it written to XML.

setting 'invisible' color is not reliable.