Activity Escelations

• 1 August 2008
  • 3 replies

Badge +5

I am in the process of designing some escelations in a workflow. My requirements are to redirect the activity to the next approver after XX amount of days. Will that activity error if there is no other approver designated in the workflow? The next activity in the escelation would redirect back to the originator to change who the approvers are or submit the workflow again. So if the workflow didn't have another approver would it move to the next escelation activity without erroring the workflow?

Don't know if that is clear enough, but please ask away if you want more information.

3 replies

Badge +11
I'm not sure I follow, but if a client activity doesn't have a destination, the workflow will error.
Badge +5
That is what I figured. The approval process is dynamic so there doesn't have to be more approvers. Thanks.
Badge +11

If the approver is optional, you could use a line rule to route it to the approval activity if the variable holding the approver is not empty and another line rule could route it to a different activity if the approver is empty.

You could also just send it to the approval activity and configure a second destination user, like the account running your k2service.  Then set an escalation if no action is taken in a period of time.  That way if your approver is blank, it doesn't error because it will have a second destination.  When the expiration fires, you can redirect it.