cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Workflow Hero

Setting Value of Field based on Another

Hi Community,

I'm use to building InfoPath forms where you had action rules and I have came across this problem of setting values of other fields based on another.  Currently I have drop downs for users that if they choose to select from it it will automatically set the value of other fields on the form. We are moving all our forms over to Nintex and I cant figure out how to do this with out having to write custom JavaScript on the form to do so.  Are there other options in being able to do this?

Thanks,

Kevin

Labels: (3)
19 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: Setting Value of Field based on Another

Hi,

If I correctly understand your need, you could do it with a second list, a lookup field in your form and the "lookup()" runtime function.

Below, a sample of a second list named "Choices" :

sample 1.png

In your form, use a "List lookup" control and map it on this list. Name your control "Choice".

Then, use some "Calculated Value" controls and set their formula as below :

sample 2.png

Finally, you should result on values, depending on a selection of the user.

sample 3.png

Regards

Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Let me Clarify a bit more.

User can select a item form a drop down list or they can just manual select the choices (option 1 or option 2).  If they use the drop down list it is to automatically set the choice to option 1.  These options are then tied to specific formulas to calculated other things, which i already have working its just getting it where if user picks something form the drop down it automatically sets the choice to option 1.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

In my humble opinion, you can't do it without JavaScript in Nintex Forms.

You're able to set value of a field only as its default value.

Modifying its value depending on another field value seems to me unavailable.

To me, the only values you could change by using the form are calculated values.

Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

using your suggestion, how can you make that calculated value field editable so one can modify the data in it to what they want?

I'm using a list lookup dropdown, i used your suggested lookup() function settings and it properly displays the list item's field information, but even when i have that calculated value field set to "Control Mode = edit" in the settings, i still cannot select it or modify the data in it.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

I have probably not been clear.

When I said "the only values you could change by using the form are calculated values", I was thinking that those are the only control values that a dropdown control selection could change. But I never thought that you could select or edit it manually.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Hi

I have problem as the same as him, I want set field like InfoPath, in InfoPath when a field change it can change other field with Other field value or specific value or when condition is true other field change.

Thank you

Naeemeh

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

I also have a similar issue.  I have Field1 and FIeld2 I want to copy what is in Field1 to Field2.

Thanks,

Jennifer

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

Hi Pierre Fudala

I have read through your answer regarding the formula which will populate a field dependent on a look up choice.  which is helpful as I am trying to put this onto my form. However when I am implementing this, the field is not populating correctly?

My lookup list is called Countries / The column is "TerritoryID and the control it should be linked to is "Country".  I built the following formula -

But when I put this together the calculated value is blank

Have you any ideas what I doing wrong?

Thanks

Karen

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

do you have a space after ID in those speech marks?

also the format is:

lookup(list title, column to filter on, value to filter on, output column)

so based on what you have said earlier do you need to change "ID" to "Country"?

Accept as Solution Reply