I have a problem using a Person or Group variable in a workflow. I set the variable to a Manager (field in the current item) or a SharePoint permission group: (TEST) Approval Group. Then I use this variable to assign a task or send an email. If it is set to the Manager it works. If I set it to the permission group it fails incorrectly resolving the name of that permission group (see below: 896;#(TEST) Approval Group). Is this the expected behavior? Interestingly if I set a default for this variable to the permission group it works!
Solved! Go to Solution.
If you set the group as the default value of the variable, does the group name also appear with the prefix "896;#"? The E-Mail action is trying to send an E-Mail to "896" which of course cannot work. Maybe there's a bug which leads to this prefix.
You could also work the a text variable instead of a Person or Group variable, this should also work for your case.
If you put the group name directly into the send notification (not via a variable), it will work. When you use a variable like in your example, it converts the group into a string that has both it's ID and Name. The send notification can't convert that back into a group. To get this to work, after you set the group variable, do an extra step to remove the group number so that only the name is left. I was able to use a RegEx to remove it. I used the pattern "\d*(;#)" with Replace Text, and left the replacement blank. I saved the results in the same variable, and the notification worked.