cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dallas_nix
Nintex Newbie

Set permissions for subfolders

I have an existing Document Library full of folders..Each folder has the same set of subfolders.  I need to loop through each folder and set different permissions for each subfolder.  Is this even possible? If so, does anyone have any suggestions?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
burkslm
Nintex Newbie

Re: Set permissions for subfolders

I know this isn't actually an answer to your question, but Microsoft highly recommends not to create a bunch of folders. It lends itself to people creating duplicate files. It also becomes a maintenance nightmare as you are seeing now. The recommendation is instead of creating all those folders - creating different document libraries or create one document library with different content types (that were the folders).

burkslm
Nintex Newbie

Doing this would allow you to add different permissions to each item.

0 Kudos
dallas_nix
Nintex Newbie

I agree 100%.  Unfortunately this structure was created long before my time here and has multiple reliant workflows.  It would be very difficult to restructure at this point. 

We actually have a list workflow that creates this folder structure with appropriate subfolders.  I modified that workflow so it sets permissions correctly for future items.  Now the problem is correcting all of the existing items

0 Kudos
emha
Nintex Newbie

burkslm​, do you have any official link or document with that Microsoft's statement?

0 Kudos
burkslm
Nintex Newbie

Marian Hatala​ can one of these items be marked as correct so we can close this? Please let me know.

Thanks!

emha
Nintex Newbie

burkslm‌, thanks for links provided, I have to go through them.

however, I'm not author of the question so I have no rights to mark it answered. I was just curios about your statement that MS doesn't recommend to use folders.

0 Kudos
burkslm
Nintex Newbie

Oh my bad! Sorry about that!

‌ did anyone of these posts help you solve your problem??

dallas_nix
Nintex Newbie

I ended up writing a powershell script to solve my issue