Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ndterri
Nintex Newbie

Set item field from value of Workflow task field

Jump to solution

If possible, I would like to set an item field to a value obtained from a Workflow Task item:

My workflow steps are:

nintex1.PNG

The Task action will result in the assignee setting a custom column in the Workflow Task, called "Assigned ECAD Librarian".

I then want the Update Item action to set my item field, "ECAD Librarian" = Workflow Task value "Assigned ECAD Librarian".

I haven't been able to find any clear documentation on how the List Lookup or Workflow Context all work, but I tried the following and get a Workflow error:

nintex2.PNG

Is what I'm trying to accomplish even do-able, and if so ... how?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Automation Master
Automation Master

Re: Set item field from value of Workflow task field

Jump to solution

Hi Terri,

It did not work with this version of Nintex.

In the Assign Task action, do you have a setting to store the ID of the Task.

If yes, you can use it as a Key to get the value you need.

Best regards,

Christophe

0 Kudos
ndterri
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Hi Christophe,

Yes - the Assign Task action does have a field for "Store task IDs in" but there's nothing in the dropdown.  Can you give me a little more detail on how I would (1) create a location to store the ID and (2) how I would then be able to use this to pull a field value from the task into the item?

Thanks!

~ Terri

0 Kudos
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

Hi Terri,

You need to create a workflow variable and select it.

Regards,

Christophe

0 Kudos
ndterri
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Christophe's response was correct, but (being a Nintex Newbie) I needed a bit more detail.  Here's how I got it to work:

(1) Created a Workflow variable of Type "List Item ID".  I named this variable "ListItemID" (clever, no?)

nintex-01.PNG

(2) In the "Assign to-do task" configuration, set the "Store task IDs in" value to the variable created in step (1): "ListItemID"

nintex-02.PNG

(3) In the "Update Item" configuration, set the Item field "SPE" to the value of the Workflow Task's "Assigned SPE" field using the List Lookup from the Workflow Tasks:

nintex-03.PNG

Now ... on to my next challenge.  I want to do the same thing only in reverse:  Set a Workflow Task field = a field from the corresponding Item.  All suggestions welcome!

View solution in original post

joshbutcher
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Hey there,

That's exactly how I get any data from a workflow task. I assume you got the information you needed to get information from the item the workflow was running on?

Cheers

Josh

0 Kudos