cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Set Item Permission on a list Item is not working

I have a list and when I create an item on it, a workflow runs and when it completes I don't want anyone to edit that item in the list.

I have contributor permission on the list. I am running a workflow when an item is created, once this workflow completes I want this item to be read only.

I have tried "Set Item Permission" but I am still able to edit an item.

If anybody had this kind of requirement, Please let me know I am ready to explore any other also.

Thanks in advance.

Labels: (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: Set Item Permission on a list Item is not working

Hi Prashant,

Have you checked the permissions on that item in the list to see if they are indeed being set or not?

cheers,

Vadim

Not applicable

Hi Vadim,

Can you help me how can I check permission on individual item of the custom list?

Workflow Hero

If you click on the item and select Shared With.  It should show you who it's shared with.

Then click on Advanced and you'll see the types of permissions on that item.

Vadim

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Hi, are you site collection administrator? If yes it's normal behavior

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

An additional check you can do is:

have the users that start the workflow (or who create/upload/modify the item/document if it's set to start automatically) rights to change permissions on the item?

If they just have Edit or Contribute, they're not able to modify permissions so that action won't work unless you set it to run as workflow owner and you publish the workflow with a user with enough rights.

Giacomo

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

maybe because you commit the pending changes before setting the permissions

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Prashant Singh​,

1) Make sure that the workflow is published with Farm Admin/Site collection admin account, so that it has full access on this site/library

2) under Set Item Permission action item > Common > select "Run as workflow owner" so that it impersonates the admin account to make the updates to the permission. This will eliminate the possibility of the user who is starting the workflow, NOT having permission to update the permission. (God! so many "permission" words )

3) since there was update made to the item, use Commit Pending changes action to commit the changes.

Hope this helps !

Not applicable

Thanks Vadim for guiding on this.

Being member of "IT Group" i Checked the permission:

Then I clicked on "Show these items"

Then Clicked on "Manage Permission". It looks like the permission is getting set as shown below but still I am able to edit the item.

Not applicable

Hi Sagir,

I published the workflow from the account and the machine where sharepoint and nintex is installed.

Modified the Set Item Permission action item with "Run as workflow owner"

But no luck it still allowed me to edit the item. Though If I checked permission on the individual item as suggest by Vadim , its says Everyone Readonly.

0 Kudos