Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Not applicable

Set Field vs. Update Item

Jump to solution

This is for Nintex Workflow 2010.

In a list workflow, what exactly is the difference between the "Set Field" action and the "Update Item" value? They seem to do the very same thing, if you are updating a single field in the current item.

Labels: (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
mgreene
Nintex Newbie

Re: Set Field vs. Update Item

Jump to solution

Hi Alan,

Although it might seem like the only difference is that "Set Field" just allows you to set one field value, while "Update Item" lets you set many, the biggest difference really is what item you are allowed to update.

"Set Field" only allows you to update the current item the workflow is running on, where as "Update Item" allows you to update any item from any list or library.  So if you only needed to set one field but it needed to be on a related Item you looked up in your workflow, than Update Item is the action you will need to use.  This also means the "Set Field" action is not going to work within something like a Site Workflow because the workflow itself is not associated with a single item or document.

Hope that helps

mmatsako
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I'll pick this as the correct action. I followed the link you provided to the same question asked earlier. As I sorta suspected the real answer is... "Well, they *functionally* are similar, but have different behaviors for reasons undocumented and unknown."

bhanunintex
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

:

Update ItemSet Field Value
 Multiple field of an item of any selected list can be updatedSingle selected field of the current item can be updated
It allows to return different type of values of an field. For ex. User field can return Email Address,Display Name,Login Name etc.There is no such provision in this action.
It can be used in list and site workflow as it allows to access multiple list of a site.It is only used in List workflow.
0 Kudos