Initiate workflow when field changes to anything

Badge +3

Hi,

I am after a simple workflow that will send an email when the 'Assigned to' field of a task item changes to anyone. The 'wait for field change' action only allows you to enter a value that the field should change to. Also I am using Office 365 Nintex Workflow so I cannot trigger a workflow on a conditional start..

180459_pastedImage_1.png

I am not using the standard 'Send email when task assigned' option in SharePoint as I want to customise the email i.e. only display a few fields in the email. But if there is a way to customise the email in SharePoint that would solve this too..

Thanks,

Jesse

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Use another field, start the workflow and use the "conditional action (if)" , there you can set a condition with your "Assigned To" field

Badge +3

What do you mean another field? What if no other field changes?

Badge +7

Hello Jesse,

Do you want to send the notification when Assigned To column has some person: Then start your workflow on item start/edit: Put a if condition to check Assigned To column is empty or not. If it is not empty then use your send email action.

In case your requirement is like: Assigned To column data will be modified frequently. Eg: 1st this column is holding Person-A, this time we need to send email to Person-A. Item is edited, but not Assigned To column (means Assigned To column is holding Person-A but other fields are modified - this time you don't need to send email). Item edit has happened, this time Assigned To column also, so now it is holding Person-B. This time you need to send email to Person-B.

If this is your requirement then try the following:

Create a new column in your list (people type) - let us say named AssignedToCopy.

Start your workflow on item start/edit.

Workflow Logic:

Put a if condition to check Assigned To column and AssignedToCopy column data.

If both are not equal (this means some one changed this from Person-A to Person-B) add send notification here. And also add                update item action and update the AssignedToCopy column with the same data as Assigned To column.

If both column are equal that means item has been modified but not Person-A and you need not to send him email again. So                leave it empty this section.

Badge +3

Thanks Soni I have implemented a similar solution to yours and it is working perfectly

Badge +3

I'm sure that method works fine.  There is a way to do this with a Condition without adding an additional field.  The workflow then becomes just one action - the notification. 

Set Start when new items are created to Yes and Start when items are Modified as Conditional. 

Use the Assigned To (Previous Value) item for comparison like this:AssignedTo Condition

It will not fire a wf if other fields are edited but the Assigned To field is not edited.  Hope this helps!

Badge +3

Hi Chuck,

Can't do conditional starts in O365 unfortunately.. 

Badge +3

Sorry, Jesse, my mistake.  I'm on-prem, obviously.  But this post led me to set it up the way I did in the first place.  I wasn't sure how to make it work without firing every time an item was edited.  Thanks for your help!

Badge +3

Hi ‌, now you can use Conditional Start feature for O365 to configure condition on your workflow. You can open designer, open Settings dialog and configure condition. Your workflow will trigger based on the condition configured. 

Badge +3

Yeah I saw that. Awesome! Thanks Muhammad

Badge

Can you do in conditional start up comparision with previous value of the field, as advised by 

cccombes3 : 09-16-201703:30 PM in this thread? I checked condition start up for modified under settings and I can not see (previous value) field.