cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Search file in a folder with Nintex Form and redirection after a wait time

Jump to solution

Yay, already my second (and third) question ~~

1. -So, first : I have a workflow which when a particular form with attachments (an Excel file and sometime a PDF) is completed, it create a folder in a Document Library and add the attachments in there. The user choose the folder's name in the form. I wanted to know if it is possible to add a wait time when the form is validated before redirect to an other page. I want that to be able, after 2 or 3 seconds, to redirect the user directly in the folder. If he is directly redirected after the form is submited, the workflow will not be finished and the destination folder will not exist immediately (so there would be an error)
  2. -Then my other (and principale) question : Let's say that later, I need to make a link in a list to file contaned in the folder. I want to be able to select the file in the form. But the "search list" control in Nintex Form doesn't seem to let choose the file by folder. So I was thinking of first make a choice control who let select the folder, then a second choice control who is filter with what is selected in the first one, and so let choice the file in the folder. But I don't know how to make that.

Here's two screens of my document Library to show the file structure

The root

issuer2.PNG

Inside the (only) folder

issue3.PNG

(Titre --> Title, Nom -->Name)

Thanks, and sorry for my bad English ^^"

Labels: (3)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Automation Master
Automation Master

Re: Search file in a folder with Nintex Form and redirection after a wait time

Jump to solution

On the first question, I'm worried that may be a poor user experience. Even though you are taken directly to the file. The wait, or spinning wait icon, may make a user believe a form is broke, or frozen. And a SharePoint workflow doesn't start/work/finish perfectly in tune 100% of the time, but almost all the time.

What if in the workflow as the last action, after the folder is created and file present, send an email to the initiator with a link to the file?

0 Kudos
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

On the second question, could the workflow also create the link automatically for you within the separate list that links to the file?

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Yeah, you might be right. I didn't really think about it.

For the mail, I'll see with the person in my company, but it might not be a bad idea.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

You mean the metadata? It is a solution yes, but it is to be used immediately, no ? Here I want to let the possibility for searching later in a form. The Document Library will be theorically used by many other form, so I don't know if metadata will be the best ^^"

0 Kudos
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

Just for clarification, are the screen shots you have posted what you are referencing as the Nintex Form? Currently those screen shots are just showing the SharePoint Library view and is not a form. I may have some confusion on the form reference, sorry.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

No, this is not the screenshot of what I intented to do with the form. I will make that later, I'll need to go now (it is 4 pm in France ^^") so I'll do that tomorrow (in France of course)

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

EDIT : I just had a reunion with other person from my company, and we have decided to not use folder a least (we find a workaround). So I don't need anymore to do that for now. But if someone have an answer, I'll take it anyway, it can still be useful for futur form or for user

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a screen of a sample of the form I want issue.PNG

But on the first control, I have all item (folders and files and files who are Inside folder) who are selectable.

On the second control, I linked it to the first in filter option, but nothing appear.

One workaround I have in mind is to directly select the file in the first control ( and so, the second will become useless), but is there a way to sort the file by folder, and show the name of the file AND the name of the folder on the same line ?

For exemple :

issue2Sans titre.png

"IN-" file (I'll call it INfile) are in jk folder

"Classeur1.xldx" and "Test 3.pdf" are in qergrg (yeah I just tap randomly for some of test name ^^") folder

And "test Template excel1.xlsx" are on root.

The workaround would be to display the list like that :

• jk
  • jk - INfile
  • qergrg
  • qergrg - Classeur1.xlsx
  • qergrg - Test 3.pdf
  • test template excel1.xlsx

Or something like that.

Is it possible ?

0 Kudos
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

Well the drop downs can also query a view. In a view, you can define show folders only or files only.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I'll try that, but I don't know many things about view in SP. Do you know about a good article who explained how it work ?

0 Kudos