Remote Desktop installation issue

• 21 November 2016
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

I have an issue when running  Nitex Workflow  installation on server via remote desktop. As the proccess it self takes few hours whenever my workstation is locked and I log in  again instaler on server when screen is refreshed installer starts doing everything from beginning. Anyone had the same?

Br

Marek

6 replies

Badge +11

Hi Marek,

I've installed Nintex sometimes remote but never experienced such a behaviour. Do you get any error message before the installer starts over again? This seems really weird but it sounds rather like a problem with the server or your remote-connection than like a nintex bug.

I also wonder why installation takes so long. Normally installing nintex is rather a matter of minutes than hours.

Badge +11

Hi ‌,

any updates on this issue?

Badge +1

I just ignore this and perform installation and keep session alive.

Badge +7

I haven't experienced something like this at all - and I do install Nintex *only* via RDP.

The time to install depends on the number of servers in the farm, as Nintex is being deployed to all server and the number of web-applications as the installer will restart IIS on each server at least a couple of times. If you have many/big web-applications such a restart might take some time.

I've experience install times between 10 and 60 minutes (for a farm of 4 servers). It should not be a matter of hours however.

Badge +5

I have seen this happen. The installer runs all the way through, completes the install, then just runs again, right from the beginning of the script. I was rightly confused the first time I saw it, but then it happened again on another farm.

Are you using the Remote Desktop Connection Manager to connect to your servers? I use Remote Desktop to connect to a VM then Remote Desktop Connection Manager to connect to my servers. It's happened to me at least twice. I assumed it was RDCMan restarting the installer (typo, pressing Enter when I didn't mean to), but then I would have gotten the original menu and had to answer all the questions again. The installer never closes.

I suspect it might have something to do with the fact that the installer spawns Central Administration at the end of the process. Something weird might be happening when the remote session is disconnected and the installer tries to spawn CA.

Badge +5

Just caught it in the act. This DOES happen and just did.

Nintex Forms installer auto-restarts after RDP reconnect during remote install