cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Save metadata based field value in a SharePoint List

Hi,

I need to create a new list item in List B after querying the item from List A.

I never saw that working in SP 2013 with Nintex WF and SP OOB Workflows for O365 and 2013.  Though it works like a charm with SP 2013.

Basically what I do is read the item from one list, and then create an item in another list. All fields are updated fine. Only metadata based field is not working. I saw some solutions for Nintex 2010 . But not sure if that will work with 2013.

Am using Nintex Workflow 2013 with SP 2013 On-Premises.

Any help will be appreciated. 

Thanks,

Nutan

Labels: (2)
16 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: Save metadata based field value in a SharePoint List

You mention that all fields are updated except for the metadata field. I assume you mean the managed metadata field type? If that is correct, the please follow this blog post by our partner Habanero Consulting. This works in 2010 and 2013.

Hope this helps!

Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

Thanks Patrick. I saw that post though but dint try to work it out.

We see if that helps me and post the updates.

Thanks,

Nutan

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

Hi,

We got this workiing in a simple way. Nintex Workflow is based on SP 2010 concept.

So if we pass the Guid of Term, it sets the value as required.

For example, we just need to Guid part of this term value and pass that in the field. And done

Accounting|895aa516-8386-48dd-afdc-230c08d3e405

Hope that helps others too

Thanks,

Nutan

Accept as Solution Reply
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Nutan,

Thanks for the update.  Could you mark this one with the right answer for others.  I will actually shoot this over to a friend that was looking for something similar to see if he needs this as well.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

I found that using GUID works only when you are reading the MMS field from current list on which workflow is running. But if we query another list, we get only the Term Label Text not the GUID.

Its quite complicated to understand the concept.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

We overcame this issue by querying the Hidden Taxonomy List by Term Label and returning TermById field.

The only requirement is the Hidden Taxonomy List should be fully synced from Term Store.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

passing the Guid of the term in Accounting|895aa516-8386-48dd-afdc-230c08d3e405 format didn't work for me in Nintex 2013. It gives an error in "Update item action."

The web service solution works for me though

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

Hi Pallavi,

Just pass the GUID, not the complete format. Nintex Workflows are based on SP 2010 Framework, hence it works the same way it worked in SP 2010.

Just pass the ID for example as 895aa516-8386-48dd-afdc-230c08d3e405. No label info is required.

Hope that helps.

Nutan

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

Hi Nutan,

I tried passing just the GUID to the item. It still doesn't seem to work.

I am using Nintex 2013 Workflow and using Update item Action. I got the Guid from the Taxonomy hidden list.

I set the Guid in a string variable. and in the "update item" action  set the value to that variable.

This doesn't seem to work.

As mentioned in my previous post, the web service action works for me .. however I would like to use your solution if I can get that working in any way.

Just to summarize, In my update item action, I have set
Update --> Current ItemField --> "Document Status" value equals "txtTermGuid" where txtTermGuid is the variable where I store my term guid (for example txtTermGuid = 895aa516-8386-48dd-afdc-230c08d3e405)

Thanks again !

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply