cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Save document in Sharepoint from a Web Request call

Hi,

Is there any way to download a document into SharePoint from a Web Request call? I see that I can save the response into a variable but they are mainly text-based and none that are binary variables.

Thanks for your help. 

Labels: (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: Save document in Sharepoint from a Web Request call

Not necessarily, but there are still some possibility here. There are ways to copy files using REST calls within the web service action. There are connectors that can also be applied to Nintex to get files from external systems. Could you provide some more detail in where they document is coming from, what type of document is it?

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

Thank you for responding. Its an external system with documents we share with vendors. They have a web service that we can call to download the documents back into our systems. The documents can be all different types - pdf, word. excel, emails, etc.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

If the external system can provide you the file as a binary stream than you can use either SOAP or REST API to upload the file to the SharePoint library. But it must be a Base64 Decoded stream (according to documentation). If this is your custom system, then I think even if the web service does not provide such method like OOTB, you can always develope it

More on the topic:

1. SOAP docs/ method: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/copy.copy.copyintoitems.aspx
  2. REST docs: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/dn292553.aspx

But it HAS to be a binary stream. I have already tried uploading a Base64 encoded string and no - without any luck

Regards,

Tomasz

Regards, Tomasz Poszytek
Accept as Solution Reply