Why do I see two scroll bars on each of my multi-line text fields when reviewing a form that was submitted?

• 30 April 2015
  • 7 replies

Badge +4

I am newer to Nintex Forms and Workflows, and am trying to build a simple form to request an email search, with a basic workflow for approval.  In that the workflow does not actually search the emails, just sends a request along for approval so someone could then manually review the request and retrieve the email for the user.

I have a few fields where users can enter the To: and From: addresses, and I used multi-line text boxes to gather the input.  Everything appears to work properly when submitting the form, but when I receive an email notification with a ContextItemURL link to review the form I just submitted, I see two scroll bars alongside each multi-line text box instead of one (see Capture1).

The leftmost scroll bar for each control scrolls through the text normally.  The rightmost scroll bar, however, shifts the leftmost scroll bar (and the enclosed text) up and down when I scroll with it.  It almost as if there is a multi-line text box within another multi-line text box.

For a better idea of what I mean, see Capture2.  The text box on the left is what I see after scrolling down on the rightmost scroll bar.  The box on the right is how both controls looked when the page first loaded.

At some point I probably made the boxes smaller, so I've tried resizing them to see if that helps.  I also recreated the controls on that particular form but the issue still persists.

After sending an email to the submitter, the workflow then provides the approver with the task form to approve the item.  On the task form, the text boxes are showing as I'd like them to (see Capture3), I'm just not sure what changes I'd need to make to the original form to achieve the desired results.

Has anyone else encountered this or does anyone know what could potentially be causing the problem?  If you need any additional clarification, please let me know.

Thanks much!!

7 replies

Badge +2

Hi,

I believe this is because 'Resize at runtime' has been disabled for the control.

Could you try toggling this back on and seeing whether the bug persists?

Resize at runtime.PNG

Badge +4

When I set resize at runtime to "Yes", submit the form with test data, and go back to review it, I get the following result (see Capture4)

The text box on the left has resize at runtime set to "No", the text box on the right has it set to "Yes"

While I can see all of the content when it is displayed this way, it causes a lot of issues in formatting and readability of the form, as the fields can vary greatly in size.

I would like the size of the control to remain the same regardless of what values are entered (thus why Resize at Runtime is set to "No"), but with just one scroll bar instead of the two that mysteriously appear.  If you look back at Capture3 from the next task form in the workflow, that's exactly how I'd want this to look.  I'm just not sure what is causing the 2nd scroll bar to appear in this particular form.  I've tried removing all custom JavaScript and CSS from the controls and the entire form but the issue persists.

Another thing I noticed earlier was that the 2nd scrollbar only appears in fields where I enter text.  If I leave a multi line text box blank and submit the form, I see a single scroll bar on that particular control, see Capture5 where I left two of the controls blank.

I appreciate your assistance so far, do you happen to have any other suggestions?  Please let me know if there's anything else you'd like me to try.

Badge +2

I'm afraid not, I have the exact same issue as you with one of my other forms. Toggling 'Resize on runtime' to 'Yes' is just a workaround that my colleagues were comfortable with. Like you've said, it will probably have an undesired effect on the layout of your form.

Hopefully this will be picked up as a bug and addressed in an update happy.png.

Badge +4

Well its relieving to know that I'm not the only one encountering the issue.  And that's the boat I'm in - setting the field to resize would probably work for the time being but is not a viable long term solution for us.

I've submitted a support ticket so we'll see how that goes.  Thanks for your help!

Badge +4

Just an FYI, I asked one of our developers to look into the problem and he found that adding this to the bottom of the custom CSS for our form seems to have fixed the issue for now.  You may want to give this a try on your problematic form.

.nf-filler-control-inner{

overflow:hidden !important;}

Whether or not it has broken any other functionality on the form has yet to be determined, but for now, the scrollbars are working properly.  I'll continue working with Nintex support in hopes that they'll be able to fix the issue in a future release.  If you have any questions or if the snippet above doesn't work for you, feel free to shoot me a PM and I can explain in greater detail.

Badge +2

Good stuff, I've applied this to my form and it works fine grin.png.

Cheers

Badge +4

I had a similar issue with this occurring on a multi-select lookup control.  I used your approach above and added a new CSS class like this:

.custom-multiselect
{
 overflow: hidden !important;
}

I applied that class to my lookup control, and no more extra scrollbar! happy.png