Convert InfoPath Forms to PDF

• 30 September 2009
  • 3 replies

Badge +2

Hi everyone,

I am using K2 BlackPearl to produce a workflow. These include InfoPath forms. In short, I'm trying to find a way to convert the final form, i.e. the form at the end of the workflow, to PDF and then send this into an Archive Document Library. Is there any way to do this as an automated process within BlackPearl or InfoPath?

Any advice guys?

sphynx

3 replies

Badge +6

Hi sphynx,

I think the easier way will consist into using SQL Server Reporting Services report to produce automated PDF. If all your form data are stored into a SmartObject... it will only be configurations steps.

You can use this blog post for more details (you can use a K2 native Service Object): http://k2underground.com/blogs/smoreclientcode/archive/2009/03/03/fastest-path-to-pdfs-with-ootb-k2-blackpearl.aspx

With native PDF Infopath feature, you can create a pdf, be If I remember you need the form view to be launch, and you can perform this only on a user session.

HTH

Badge +3

I agree the SSRS to PDF function is good way to go.  However that does not solve an automated requirement that a PDF should be generated at the end of the process.  I do recall that it is possible to actually run the SSRS API and generate the PDF in code.

As for your recommendation of using SmartObjects in SSRS - I am not too much of a fan of that.  The SQL Data Provider for SmartObjects is un-necessary if you can query the database directly.  The SmartObject SQL Data Provider  has several limitiations if you need to do some heavy duty queries.

My Recommendation is this - I just so happen to have to do a data dump into PDF and found a really solid API which I blogged about it - http://www.k2distillery.com/2009/09/excel-and-pdf-data-dump-in-sharepoint.html.  All you need to do is create a server side code event, access the InfoPath XML field, then create the PDF and save it down into a document library.

Thanks,

Jason

Badge +6
using the SmartBox Service Object in place of an SQL Data Provider Service Object should make you become a fan :-)