cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

SOAP: Server Failed to publish (Workflow limitation)

Hi everyone

Due to the size of my workflow I have the following error message:

Soap:ServerServer was unable to process request ----> Failed to publish Workflow: Error in the application, I know I have this error message due to the size of my workflow so is there a way to manage this issue?

I have to increase the size of my workflow due to some users requests

Thanks for your help :)

Labels: (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Automation Master
Automation Master

Re: SOAP: Server Failed to publish (Workflow limitation)

Hi,

instead on looking how to increase the size of your workflow (that if it exceed default size is already quite big), could you try to split your workflow in two (or more if needed)?

I know this is not a true "answer" but a suggestion because too big workflow can have also other performance issues

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Thank you for your idea but it is complicated to split my worlfllow in smaller subworkflows because a lot of data from one branch are used in others ones (It's an approval workflow, I have a table in which all comments from every approvers are listed) 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Sorry I can't edit my answer

So I'm currently using a Demand management Workflow and Apparently Subworkflow only works with Site Workflow, so is it possible to build a subworkflow with a demand management workflow or am I stuck?

Thank you for your help

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

No idea?

As I'm using Demand Management Workflow, I can't use sub workflow

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Automation Master
Automation Master

I understnad it might be a lot of work to split complex workflow to several smaller ones.

but if you are already at the edge to be able or not to publish wiorkflow, there is not an other way.

you could save some room for modifications if you delete some actions that are not realy needed for business logic itself (logging, notifications, action sets, disabled actions,....) but soon or later you will anyway come to the point when you'll have to split it.

As I'm using Demand Management Workflow, I can't use sub workflow

I'm not sure what you exactly mean with "Demand Management Workflow", but I guess that's just your workflow name. that shouldn't restrict you to create/start subworkflows

Apparently Subworkflow only works with Site Workflow

to be able to configure Start workflow action to start any other workflow, the workflow has to existing on the (same) site. regardless of whether they are list or siet ones.

it is complicated to split my worlfllow in smaller subworkflows because a lot of data from one branch are used in others ones

there shouldn't be a problem to hand over data between workflows back and forth.

to pass a data into a child workflow being started, create within the child workflows respective variables and mark them 'Available on start form'. they then appear in start workflow action as a separate entries and you will be able to configure what data should be passed in.

to retrieve data from child workflow use store/retrieve data workflow actions

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Hello @emha 

Thank you for your quick answer, a demand management workflow, is a type of workflow used by Project Server 2013, so this is why I can't use a subworkflow in my workflow because it's another type of workflow (When I tried to start a subworkflow, I'm juste able to see my project site workflow)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Automation Master
Automation Master

ahh, ok.

I do not have experience with project server. and you even haven't mentioned so far the problem relates to project server.

what about to create another workflow of the same type? does it allow to start them one from the another?

what I was able to find out, demand management workflow is basically a site workflow. if you create an ordinary site workflow, does it allow to start it from demand workflow?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Hello @emha 

Once again, thank you for your help

So it's not possible to start another Demand management workflow from this kind of workflow

And when I create a new variable, I don't have the option Available on start form....

So I should optimize my current workflow by reducing the amount of branches

0 Kudos