Assign to-do task problem

Badge +2

Hi I am trying to assign a to do task to a person in a workflow. I am able to configure the action to use a content type, change the notification, save and publish the workflow. When I come back to the workflow to do changes to the action all the existing configuration details are gone. It shows blank in the Assignees, task description, content type etc.., When I hover over the task it says "Assigned to : XXXXXX" but I open the action to configure it shows blank.

1604_pastedImage_2.png

1599_pastedImage_0.png

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

What is the parent content type to your Photo Approval Task?

Badge +2

Hi Chit,

I am using IE 11.

Getting two errors when I debug using Dev tools. The same workflow works on Production.

{exception} Object doesn't support property or method '$E3_0'
message "Object doesn't support property or method '$E3_0'"

stack "TypeError: Object doesn't support property or method '$E3_0'    at RTE_Canvas$restoreViewHtml (http://<SiteURL>/_layouts/15/nintexworkflow/rte.js?rev=cbMdM15iAK%2FI6K7pCp02QA%3D%3D:370:25)    at setRTEValue (http://<SiteURL>/_layouts/15/nintexworkflow/rte.js?rev=cbMdM15iAK%2FI6K7pCp02QA%3D%3D:376:13)    at stockRTEFields (http://<SiteURL>/tools/userprofiles/_layouts/15/NintexWorkflow/TodoTaskDialog.aspx?activityId=105&ListId=2963e6a5-a550-4c75-98b0-e12f3758dc89&ContentTypeId=&Category=List&Version=3050&IsDlg=1:7958:7)    at init (http://<SiteURL>/tools/userprofiles/_layouts/15/NintexWorkflow/TodoTaskDialog.aspx?activityId=105&ListId=2963e6a5-a550-4c75-98b0-e12f3758dc89&ContentTypeId=&Category=List&Version=3050&IsDlg=1:644:7)"

{exception} Sys.ArgumentException: Cannot deserialize empty string. Parameter name: data
description "Sys.ArgumentException: Cannot deserialize empty string. Parameter name: data"

Badge +2

The parent is "Workflow Task" which is the same in production and the same in some other workflows in production, which are working fine.

Badge +2

The error is occurring in the JS file rte.js in Layouts/Nintexworkflow folder in 15 hive.

function setRTEValue(hiddenId, value, encodeHtmlChars) {
        var modeSelector = getObjectOfRTE(hiddenId, 'ModeId');
        var rteBody = getObjectOfRTE(hiddenId, 'RTEEditableRegionId');
        var plainTextBody = getObjectOfRTE(hiddenId, 'PlainTextId');
        var propArrayName = $get(hiddenId).getAttribute('WFPropArrayName');
    var elementWithFocus;
        //Set the global prop array to the unique array defined for this instance.
        WFPropertyArray = eval(propArrayName);
        RTE_isWorkflowVariableArrayLoaded = false;

try
    {
        elementWithFocus = document.activeElement;
    }
    catch(e)
    {
    }

setFocusToFirstElement();

if (modeSelector.selectedIndex == RTE_MODE_HTML) {

var htmlValue = RTE_translateToDesignerHtml(value);
            $get(RTE.RteUtility.getAttribute(rteBody, 'InputFieldId')).value = htmlValue;

// overriding method in RTE.js which is clearing out our value
            RTE.Canvas.restoreViewHtml = function RTE_Canvas$restoreViewHtml(editableRegion) {
                var $v_0 = editableRegion.id;

var $v_1 = RTE.RteUtility.getAttribute(editableRegion, 'InputFieldId');

if ($v_1) {
                    var $v_3 = $get($v_1);

if ($v_3) {
                        var $v_4 = new RTE.Snapshot();

$v_4.$P_0 = editableRegion;
                        $v_4.$8P_0 = true;
                        $v_4.set_$8e_0($v_3.value);
                       $v_4.$E3_0(false);
                    }
                }
            };

Badge +2

Aug 2013 CU. The versions of Nintex and SharePoint are the same on my dev and prod environments. I will try to update and see if that helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The issue is occurring when the designer is reading the xml config data and trying to set the field's value with it, then fails. An update will probably not help you in this case. I would delete the action and recreate the action with the same configuration.

Badge +2

Hi Chit and Andrew,

I have upgraded Nintex workflow 2013 to the latest version and that fixed the issue. Thank you very much for your support.

Thanks

Kranthi

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Awesome, thanks for the feedback!

Badge +7

Hi everyone,

I got the same issue but SP2013 August 2014 CU so not linked to that....

Any idea ?  (no custom masterpage, JS or CSS)

The error shows on "some" actions mainly [Send notification]

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Can you verify that you are on the latest patch of Nintex?

Badge +7

Nintex Workflow 2013 (3.0.5.0) installed, will upgrade to 3.0.8 and let you know if fixes (Nintex Workflow 2013 - Release Notes )

Badge +7

FYI: Upgrading to Nintex 3.0.8 fixed the issue, the Send notification action shows its rich text editor without error.

thanks for the reminder.      

Badge +3

Hi,

Can I know the threshold value of the number of users to which a To-Do task can be assigned.

Because, I have a workflow where I send notifications to around 950 users to complete a Survey.

The workflow executed for a small number of users but when I tried for 950 it created tasks for them, then it failed and then sent "Not Required" notifications to all of them. Then the status of the workflow was "Failed on Start (Retrying)".

Can anyone please help me in achieving this functionality.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,

Shyam

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

There may not be an actual threshold to the task action, but some other setup or environmental issue to cause this.

Shyam Shinde​, could you create a new post with this issue and we can try to help troubleshoot that there? Thanks,

Badge +17

The threshold would be SharePoint based not Nintex.  The workflow will initiate a create new item in the task list and run through until it errors out because the database that holds the table will do a lock out after a certain number of items.

If possible, can you create a Survey list, add a page with the form on it, and send it to your users?  You are in a way doing the same thing, but you are not automating the creation of 950 items at one time. 

You can then email all 950 users a link to the list or a page.  This gets you away from the problem you may be seeing in the first place with the task creation issues, but still gets your results of pushing the survey out to everyone who needs it via a link to their email.

Badge +3

Thanks Eric Harris​ for an alternate solution.

But, if I need to maintain the track of people who have responded to the Survey and who have not, then how can I achieve this functionality.

If the user has not taken the survey then I need to Remind him by sending a notification. In "Assign To-Do" task, we can put a Reminder which will remind the user if he has not taken the survey.

But, with the above approach you mentioned is to also possible to keep a track of Surveys taken by users.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,

Shyam

Badge +17

You're asking for a lot from a workflow :-) and list. 

This is doable, but what I would encourage is that you try this on say 5 or 10 users.  If your logic works for that number than feasibly it should work for any number within reason (throttling limits for processing).

To achieve what you are wanting take a look at these steps:

• Create a contacts list of users.
  • The list should have user name, email, and responded.
  • Your initial "Notify" workflow could be used as a Site workflow that would query the list, grab all emails in a collection, store those values into a variable and email them the link to the survey.
  • As the users respond to the email, they will click the link and access the survey form.
  • Put a workflow on the survey list that is kicked off when the new survey is created.  The logic of this workflow should be to update the item > select the contacts list > and filter for the item that has a match of intiator or some key field from the survey that is a match in their contact.  Recommendation would be to have them use their name or an ID# which could be stored in the contact list and is unique to each  person.  This would give you an ID to match on by having them type that in with their response and you could set one and email it as part of the initial email.
  • The next thing you would do is create a second site workflow that is scheduled to run once a week.  It runs against the contacts list and should use the query list action to query the list and filter for all items where the responded field is empty. Store the emails or names into a collection and store that into a variable.  Then send a notification email to all users captured in the collection with the reminder link to the survey list.

I've done this before, but not for a survey.  The logic should work well if tied together correctly.  Hope that helps...