Default Decision Rule

• 15 April 2016
  • 4 replies

Badge +6

Good day

I need help with a rule (or any other approach) that will select a default decision value depending on the value selected on a different choice control.

The scenario is, when an initiator fills the form for overtime, they have an option of either selecting Payment or Time-Off as preferred compensation. The task to capture this is created for an HR Officer, who in turn has 2 decision options, Payment Processed or Time-Off captured. Now depending on what the initiator selected, I want a rule that will either disable the other decision choice or that will select the appropriate decision by default. I want this so that human error is minimal. I don't want an HR Officer selecting a decision that doesn't match the initiators choice.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

do yo need to do it within the same form?

or is selection of Payment/Time-off on a entry form and selection of Payment Processed/Time-off captured on a task form?

is Payment Processed/Time-off captured selection an item column or are they approval outcomes defined in flexi task?

Badge +6

Hi Marian

Q: Is selection of Payment/Time-off on a entry form and selection of Payment Processed/Time-off captured on a task form?

A: Yes, Selection of Payment/Time-Off is on the entry form, while Payment Processed and Time-Off Captured are on the task form.

Q: Is Payment Processed/Time-off captured selection an item column or are they approval outcomes defined in flexi task?

A: They are outcomes defined on the flexi task

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

ok, clear.

first I would suggest  maybe an easier way how to deal with your task. since there is always 1:1 relation between original decision and approval task, the only thing what you moreless need is kind of confirmation that HR officer did process the task.

what I would do is that I would assign him a task with single possible outcome 'Task Confirmed'.

based on original request it is always clear that it means either Payment Processed or Time-Off captured.

that way you do not need to bother with complicated logic how to ensure consistent answers.

if you insist on the approach you drawn, then you can pre-select deault outcome with piece of javascript code.

something like this might work for you

NWF$("#"+Decision+" input:radio[value='12']")[0].checked=true

note you will have to determine first what are outcome values in your environment (12 in my case).

have a look here how to do thatUsing validation rules to ensure a comments box is not left empty

Badge +6

Thanks Marian, I think your first suggestion would work best