Howto: Add links to an event description (multiline text)

• 25 October 2017
  • 3 replies

Badge +2

Hello everyone,

I am trying to insert http links into the description field of an event in a SharePoint calender list using Nintex Workflow for SharePoint 2013. The workflow runs on the list, not the site.

But when I set the description field using the "update field action", all the formatting goes out of the window. Even line breaks get lost.

How do I retrieve the content of a multi line text field of a SharePoint list without breaking the existing format? (rich text?!?)

How do I add content to a rich-text enabled field while keeping the format?

Is it even possible to add a clickable link? ( ... It is using the SharePoint frontend.)

Any ideas or input is welcome! I am really stuck right now.

Greetings from Germany,

Martin

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +12

Hi,

Go to settings of "Description" field, check "Enhanced rich text  (Rich text with pictures, tables, and hyperlinks)" is selected for "Specify the type of text to allow".

If you are unable to edit this setting or not seeing this setting for out of the box "Description" filed in your calendar list, try creating another column with "Multiple lines of text" type and enable the above setting (by default, Enhanced rich text" is selected.

Badge +2

Thanks for the tip. I checked the settings and the "Enhanced richt text" is selected for the description field.

Badge +2

Got it!

Although the workflow is already working on a list item, I cannot use the {ItemProperty:Description}, since it does not include the format information... only the plain text. Instead I had to do an extra lookup using the "Lookup in List" action. There you have an option to include the HTML-format in rich text columns. The check box is located under output options.

I checked that box and it started working as a charm.