cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Not applicable

Restrict Word Doc From Being Edited

Hello:

Is there anyway to restrict a SharePoint Word doc from being edited even after it has been downloaded to someones drive? So far, I have been able to update the permissions at the end of my workflow so that users are not able to edit the approved document. I know that in a word doc's developer tab, there is a button called Restrict Editing and that would disable editing even if a copy of the word doc is downloaded. Is there anything I can do in my Nintex WF to generate that type of action. I am on the standard version of Nintex if that helps.

Thanks,
Andy

4 Replies
Not applicable

Re: Restrict Word Doc From Being Edited

Any ideas of the ability to use Nintex to run a macro on a Word document?

0 Kudos
janeyres
Nintex Newbie

Hi,

You may want to take a look at SharePoint's information rights management settings, Apply Information Rights Management to a list or library - Office Support

Jan

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Jan,

I'm not sure IRM is something we would want to implement. In Word there is a Restrict Editing icon in the developer tab that disables users from editing a document. The idea is to run some sort of macro in a Nintex WF that would enable this setting in a Word doc after the document has been approved. Do you have any other suggestions? I cannot seem to find a solution where someone has written a macro for a Word doc in the Nintex Community.

-Andy

0 Kudos
kelliganp
Nintex Newbie

Hi Andy Lam,

We actually have a Quality Department on one of the programs I support that manages approved and published versions of documents. Once a document reaches a final "approved for publishing" state, they convert it to a PDF to retain the integrity of the version and host it in a "for public consumption" library and keep the working "MS Word" copies in version controlled document management library on the Quality team site. This is used for policies, procedures, SOPs etc. Hope this is helpful from some point of view even if it does not answer the automation  question.

Regards,

Patrick Kelligan

0 Kudos