How can I set up the workflow to send a rejected approval back to the initiator and then have them resubmit?

• 22 November 2017
  • 16 replies

Badge +3

I am new to Nintex and thought this would have to be simple, but all the discussions I have seen are very complex. I have a single approval that if rejected, needs to be sent back to the initiator and then they make any necessary corrections and resubmit. How can I make that happen?

16 replies

Badge +9

see Document Review and Approval (State Machine) Workflow by .

There You will also find a example workflow for download.

Badge +3

thanks I will take a look

Badge +3

I am looking for more of a step by step.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

maybe these will make it more clear for you

Using State Machine Workflows 

Badge +3

Yes Thank you. I was able to set it up and it worked, but the way the set up is, the same person who submits the Nintex Form also has to approve. Does that step have to happen? Really, Person A submits the form and it should then go to Person B. Person B either approves and it moves on or declines and the form is sent back to Person A to resubmit.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

How do you define Person B?
Like, is the approver indicated in another field on the form, or does it have to be looked up from a list?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14
the same person who submits the Nintex Form also has to approve. Does that step have to happen

no, this doesn't happen on its own, it happens because you configured it so.

can you post some screenshot(s) how did you configure workflow and task action itself?

Badge +3

Person B is the only approver. But, if they do not approve the form, I would like them to be able to reject it and it be sent  back to Person A, who submitted the form to fix and then resubmit again to Person B. Once Person B approves, the form is then going to be sent for processing by the next department.

Badge +3

I set it up as it was in the Using State Machines Workflows above. But the Analyst doesn't need to approve, just submit or save the form. Then the Manager receives the email to approve or decline the form, if declined, the form needs to go back to the analyst to correct and resubmit. Does the analyst have to have the change state in order for the manager to reject the form and it go back to the analyst?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

how did you configure default state in state machine action?

I'd say it should be 'Manager Approval' in your scenario, since that should be first approval step after new request is submitted.

Badge +3

Now I am getting the below error.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

That's not a workflow error at all. You tried to submit a new list item with a value in [Date] field which already exists in the list whereas the field is configured to have unique values.

Badge +3

Ok. that is fixed.

Once the Manager rejects the form, it goes back to the analyst to approve. I would rather the analyst just edit the form in the list and that would trigger the workflow to resend the email to the manager to reapprove. Can we do that?

I would also like the comments the Manager adds when they reject the form be populated within the decline email back to the analyst.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

I would rather the analyst just edit the form in the list and that would trigger the workflow to resend the email to the manager to reapprove. Can we do that?

then you could let the workflow end once approval rejected by manger, and configure the workflow to run (and let the change to approve by manager)on both item creation and item update.

but I wouldn't recommend that. there are several benefits if you assign explicit task to analyst/issuer.

at first, the change may be done by any one, not necessarily by analyst/issuer. so manager may be requested to approve changes that need  not be a matter of approval.

or analyst might need to do several updates until The Change requested is really done. so again, manager may be bothered to approve not finished changes.

and several other reasons.

I would also like the comments the Manager adds when they reject the form be populated within the decline email back to the analyst.

have a look on 'Approver comments' or 'All Approver comments' common references.

Badge +2
Hi
I have the same scenario to seup and I am new to Nintex.
I tried to access the link given above i.e https://community.nintex.com/t5/Template-Gallery/Document-Review-and-Approval-State-Machine-Workflow/ta-p/85333
but it shows me access denied .Please help to get it.
Badge

@mlauer  I get this error:

Access Denied

You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action.

Click your browser's Back button to continue.