cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Restart rejected approval workflow where it left off

Jump to solution

I need to route a capital funding request spreadsheet stored in a SharePoint 2013 library as follows:

1-Manager form validation

• If approve, continue to Operations Manager
  • If reject, end workflow
  • If updates to spreadsheet are needed before continuing, notify requestor who will modify spreadsheet (once updates are made, start approval from the beginning)

2-Operations Manager Approval

• If approve, continue to Finance
  • If updates to spreadsheet are needed before continuing, notify requestor who will modify spreadsheet (once updates are made, start approval from the beginning)

3-Finance Approval

• If approve, continue to President

4-President Approval

• If approve, end workflow
  • If updates to spreadsheet are needed before continuing, notify Finance who will modify spreadsheet (once updates are made, start approval from Finance)

I'm not sure if I should use loop counter, switch statement and flexi tasks, state machine, and what workflow settings should be after requestor makes updates to direct the workflow start at the desired approval level (e.g. sometimes start at the beginning, but if at level 4, just go back to Finance for approval, not back to the beginning). Ideas?

Labels: (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Nintex Employee
Nintex Employee

Re: Restart rejected approval workflow where it left off

Jump to solution
To me it looks like a State Machine is what is needed.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

@tmmintrup .....you'll need:

• State Machine for each approvals
  • Switch to change to respective state based on workflow status
  • Flexi tasks with 3 choices (Approve, Reject, RMI) for each approvals
  • For each outcomes, you'll have to update the Workflow Status and also when the workflow starts you'll need to set the workflow status, for e.g.:
    • When item creates and workflow starts, set status to Waiting on Manager Approval
    • If Manager:
      • Approves - Waiting on Ops Manager Approval
      • Rejects - Manager Rejected
      • RMI - Manager Requesting RMI
  • Now above steps are when item is created, now it will also trigger when item is modified but conditionally when workflow status is <each approvals> Requesting RMI. You will need apply OR condition.
  • At the start you will also need to put Run IFs which will check if workflow status = <each approvals> Requesting RMI then change workflow status to Waiting on <that appover's> Approval

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Thank you. After status is set for each outcome within each approval state, would I have a Change State action as follows:

If Manager:

• Approves - Waiting on Ops Manager Approval - Change State to Ops Manager Approval
  • Rejects - Manager Rejected - Change State to End State Machine
  • RMI - Manager Requesting RMI - no Change State action??? So...
    • Let the When Item Created workflow end
    • Requestor updates the document with more information triggering workflow again except this time evaluating the When Item is Modified conditions
    • "Manager Requesting RMI," condition is met so it will go through the first state, run if status = "Manager Requesting RMI" (which it still does) and flow through the flexi task (repeat until  Manager approves)
    • Once Manager approvers, change state action moves it forward to the next state

Does that make sense?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

@tmmintrup 

• For Approval & Reject your logic is good (maybe notify Submitter about rejection).

• For RMI, you have 2 choice:
    • Continue the same workflow or terminate the workflow and notify submitter.

• For same w/f to contd.:
    • Add one more state called RMI
    • Change state to this one when approver's outcome is RMI
    • You can assign a review task to submitter and once they respond based on current status of the workflow change the state accordingly or if you're changing w/f status when it's RMI then before changing the status, save the current status of workflow in a variable and after review task is complete using w/f variable change the state
    • This way you won't need to trigger w/f when an item is modified

• Trigger new w/f after Submitter makes changes  
    • In this case you need to end state machine and use the logic from my previous respond

In your default state, you need to put a switch action, which will check the current status of the workflow and will change the state accordingly.

Never ever leave state machine open, always end state machine state.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

A few clarifications please:

1-Where does the switch action go exactly in relation to the state machine?

2-Where do the Run If actions go in relation to the state machine (the first action in each state)?

3-What exactly do you mean by default state?

If you have a mockup photo, that would be great.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

This got me on the right track. Thank you. I ended with a state machine, with a state for each approval needed, flexi task for each approver with outcomes of Not Approved, Approved, Updates Needed. If updates are needed, added a request review action to the requestor who would then modify the document in the library and then respond to the review task. Then update approval status and onto the next state. So far so good.