cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Request approval sent to a shared mailbox states user not authorized even though they are included in an "approval group" that's assigned as well.

I have a shared mailbox that 5 people have access to.  In one of my workflows, I am attempting to send the approval to the shared mailbox because only 1 person needs to review and approve/reject the request on behalf of the group.  I tried originally sending the request to the shared email's address but I get the message that I'm not authorized to approve the request.  Next, I turned on lazy approval hoping I could just reply from the shared mailbox instead.  This also did not work since it knows that I am am the one sending the reply, not the mailbox "user" itself.

So I then created, based on another question on this site, a group that has the 5 people.  This also happens to be the owners of our sharepoint site, so they have full control for permissions.  In the approval task, I added the shared email box as one approver and the new group as the other approver.  To avoid getting duplicate emails to our individual emails and to the shared mailbox, I set the email notification to go only to the shared mailbox and selected none for the notification for the new group.

Now my problem is that if I click on the link that goes to our shared mailbox, it's telling me that I'm not authorized to approve this request.  However, if I go to the outstanding workflow tasks and click on the one that went to the group, then it's giving me the option to approve/decline as I would expect.  Is there some way to make it so that when I click the link in the shared mailbox email, that it'll recognize I'm part of the approval group?  I'd like to avoid sending any notifications outside of the shared mailbox so that we are not getting a lot of extra emails going around since this workflow could have fairly high volume going through it.

Labels: (1)
4 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: Request approval sent to a shared mailbox states user not authorized even though they are included in an "approval group" that's assigned as well.

Hey Jason,

My Solution at one of our customer was, to assign the SharePoint Group and do not notify the group. In the workflow Task list, i create a workflow with conditional start (Condition is: Start on Itemcreation and assigned to the Group)

This works fine when the group have to interact with SharePoint directly, like clicking a link and have to complete the Nintex Task Form.

But I have actually no solution with an Emailadress from a ticketsystem.

Lazy Approval is activ for the Flexi Task assigned to the Ticketsystem, and If the User of the Ticketsystem send an answer, SharePoint send the answer back, that the Assigned Email Address of the Ticketsystem has no permissions to edit the task.

The User of the ticketsystem sends the Mails from the assigned adress.

The Infrastructure of the enviroment is correctly configured, because other Tasks works fine with Lazy Approvals.

Could you give me a hint for this problem?!  Vadim Tabakman​ ​Patrick HoschEric Harris or Andrew Glasser​?!

Thanks so far.

Christof

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

Re: Request approval sent to a shared mailbox states user not authorized even though they are included in an "approval group" that's assigned as well.

Greetings Jason,

What version of Nintex Workflow are you using? (2010/2013)

What build version of Nintex Workflow? (found in Central Administration > Nintex Workflow Management > Licensing > Installed Version)

Is it possible for you to open a case with us?  This can help us investigate the issue together.

Kind regards,

Pavel,

Service Engineer

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

We are using 2010 version 2.4.1.0.  Unfortunately, since we are a larger corporation, I will not be able to open a case about the issue directly, but I'll check with our central IT group and see if they can open one on my behalf.

In general, I'm probably going to abandon the lazy approval method all together, since it appears that our Domino server will always convert the reply from the shared email address to being from the person who it "sent of behalf of". 

My main problem now is that all members of our approval group that I created, get a hyperlink to approve with a specific task ID number.  The one that goes to the shared email address has a different task ID number assigned, so if I turn off the email notifications to the approval group and leave it going to the shared mailbox, then I get the not authorized to approve message because it wants the shared email box "user" to approve that specific task number.  If I go to the open tasks and click the one that went to the approval group, then I can approve it without an issue, but that's not really the intent of what we wanted to do.

I also thought about adding the shared email address to the approval group, but then I won't be able to turn off the individual user email notifications and only send it to the shared box.  It'll probably fix the issue of assigning a different task ID so that the link will work, but I'd like to be able to prevent individual emails as well.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Hey Pavel,

do you have a hint for my actual problem:

But I have actually no solution with an Emailadress from a ticketsystem.

Lazy Approval is activ for the Flexi Task assigned to the Ticketsystem, and If the User of the Ticketsystem send an answer, SharePoint send the answer back, that the Assigned Email Address of the Ticketsystem has no permissions to edit the task.

The User of the ticketsystem sends the Mails from the assigned adress.

My Ticketnumber is: Lazy Approval does not work  [ ref:_00D90q6Cb._500901827HJ:ref ]

Thanks so far for your support.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply