Scheduling Email Notifications Prior to Expiration Date for Several List Items

• 29 January 2020
  • 3 replies

Badge +2

Creating a List workflow for a Certification list for employees, so management will be able to track ending certifications.

Employees will enter their certifications in a form (each cert, date of cert obtained, and their expiration).

Leadership wants each cert (could be as many as 6 per person) to have a separate email notification fire off at different time intervals prior to the expiration date as a "red flag" to get their cert updated. (180 days, 150 days, 120, 90, 60, 45, 30, 21, 14, 7) until the user changes the expiration date (essentially updating his record).

Currently, I have a parallel action set up for each reminder:

Action Set

Calc Date (Calc "Expiration Date" -column- minus 6 months, store in variable "6monthreminder")

Pause Until (6monthreminder)

Send notification

When I tested this current set up - Ex. a cert ending in 45 days, they got ALL notifications 180 down to 45 days (6 different email notifications) versus the one that was most relevant.

What am I missing?

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
Hi,

Without actually seeing the workflow there does not appear to be anything wrong with the workflow design and logic behind it.

If I was to attempt this I would not have a workflow run for six months for each cert for each person.

I would have one workflow that runs daily and checks all the users certs and send out the appropriate notification when required.
Badge +2

Here is what the wf looks like 6310i559CA0146D203D74.png

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
As I advised, The design seems sound. Not sure why it does not work.