cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Workflow Hero

Replicate radio button selection in a second choice control

I have two identical radio button choice controls containing Incident Rating choices; Critical, High, Moderate and Low. 

First choice control will appear when the inititor starts the form and is an indicator only of what the rating should be only, so not connected to anything and has no flow. 

Second Control will hide or appear based on role or person completing the form at the time, and will have different workflows attached based on the rating choice selection (i.e. Critical Rating notifies person A, B and C, High Rating notifies person A & B only etc.) 

The idea is that the initiator can select what they think the rating should be but their managers have the ability to change the rating if it is deemed higher or lower. As we are using the rating to determine what level of role gets notified of the incident, we don't want the workflow to trigger in the first instance of rating because if the rating is incorrect, then so are the notifications.

What I need help with is simply this. If for example Critical is selected in Choice Control 1, then how do I make Critical the default selection in Choice control 2? So whatever is selected in control 1 needs to be the default/selection in control 2.

Labels: (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Replicate radio button selection in a second choice control

Great question. In reading through this, both values should be stored back to the list or "connected" and here is why. In my opinion, you do want to capture what the initiator selects as their ratings as well as what the manager puts in. 

Reason: if you capture the initial rating from the submitter and then the manages rating, you can do a compare report over time to see if training is needed to help the initiators better rate things. This could reduce the load on the managers and give them talking points to help address gaps in assessments, etc. This is a simple report showing when it was submitted, and the two choices selected.

To make this work, you can have only the first one visible on new form. Then on the edit form you can have the first one visible but "disabled" so the manager can see it. Then have the managers rating visible and enabled so they can select the appropriate value. 

On the backside, I would suggest if it "must be automated" to have a workflow kick off when the new item is created it could set the value of the manager field to whatever the other value was. You would then need to have validation such as a checkbox for the manager to check to verify the rating is ready (and the combination of their choice/checkbox) would be the trigger for the second more official routing workflow.

Alternatively, you can use a task form and create a choice control there for the manager only. Then have the manager see the initial value, and select theirs. Once the task is completed, capture their value and push that back to the original list via the workflow by using a workflow variable. (This is way more advanced and I do not recommend this if you are relatively new). 

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Thanks heaps for your prompt reply and advice.

Forgive me but I am still struggling to understand how I replicate the radio button selection from the first control to the second within the form. I understand the connecting to list part but I suppose I am wondering if there is a specific rule that needs to be applied to the control itself within the form?

I am extremely new to Nintex in general so only have a very basic understanding at present. 

Thanks, Kaz

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Having re-read your response. I don't understand the difference between 'New' form and 'Edit' form. I thought the edits were made in the same form?

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Here are the steps to follow:

Ensure you have two controls on the list first and then create the form. If you do this, Nintex will automatically place the two controls on the form for you.

Secondly, go to the first control and in the configuration settings, click on appearance and set "enabled = Is New Mode" and save that. This will ensure that it's only allowed to be edited once but the original submitter. You can change this later if needed. 

form control.JPG

Once you have done that, do the same things for the second control, but change the Appearance > Visible to Expression "Is Edit Mode" and do not modify the enabled here. This will hide the control on new and show it on edit. 

About new and edit.

When the user first creates the form, it is using the "New Mode/New Form" View. So any control using this criteria will be affected when in New Mode/New Form.

Once the item is created and saved to SharePoint a user can go in and edit the item. They would be using the "Edit Form/Edit Mode" for that. So any control showing edit will then be available to them. 

You can use the different views to show/hide controls and modify the experience, but do not go crazy on this because its hard to keep up with it once you get going. Just kidding. Its a good feature to use, but its a feature not a solution. 

Hope that helps

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply