Trouble with Nintex Form external data column

• 12 March 2015
  • 5 replies

Badge +4

I am having trouble with the Ninex Forms 2013 External Data Column.  I setup my external content type Read List operation with a filter.  I used a filter type of Wildcard, but I'm still not having any luck.  It works when I have the Nintex form external data column control set to 'default' but I get blanks when I select 'Dropdown'.

What I ultimately want to do, I'm not even sure if it's possible.  I'd like to make the external data column be dependent on another field's value.  So in other words, the filter use a the current logged in user to limit the values in a pick list.  Is this even possible?

Thank you in advance for any assistance!

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

I use a stored procedure for the read list operation on the external content type.

I have a filter which based on User Profile then Username (or Accountname if you want it DOMAINUSERNAME format).

In the return parameters the key field which is passed to the read item operation is marked as the system identifier.

The read item operation on the same external content takes an input filter with the same column also marked as the system identifier.

Note that this is reliant on usernames being a field in the database table.

I can get it to work with the external data column control being in default display mode but not in drop down mode.

It does however let me prefilter the results from the external content type based on the user.

Hope this helps.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi Nancy,

I'm battling the same problem.

I'm working on a solution which uses a site workflow using Nintex form for start form.

I can connect the External Data Column control to workflow variable.

However when I try to use a calculated value control, in the formula builder the external data column does not appear in the named controls even when the EDC column does have a name.

I'm trying to see what I can do via javascript.

The other thing is that the EDC control allows for additional fields but I do not know how to access those.

Cheers,

Gavin

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi Darwin

Code sample

So I have an external control named: edc-StudentUsername

I have 3 single line text box controls:

- slt-StudentPreferredName (Client ID javascript: StudentPreferredNameCalculated)

- slt-StudentID (Client ID javascript: StudentIDCalculated)

- slt-StudentUsername (Client ID javascript: StudentUsernameCalculated2)

In the user profile service there is a custom property StudentID which I populate via user profile sync.

Parent clicks on the select external item button (popup window) for the external data column control.

This retrieves the student username from the database query.

JavaScript then takes the value from the control and uses spservices.

(References in the form settings as a custom javascript include).

Then following javascript is in the form settings:

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Gavin

NWF$(document).ready(function() {

NWF$("#" + ECTStudentUsername).bind('DOMNodeInserted', function(event) {

var studentusername = NWF$(this).find('div').attr('displaytext');

var calControl = NWF$('#' + StudentUsernameCalculated2);
studentusername = studentusername.trim()
calControl.val(studentusername );
var profile = {};    NWF$().SPServices({        operation: "GetUserProfileByName",        async: false,        AccountName: studentusername,        completefunc: function (data, status) {            NWF$(data.responseText).find("PropertyData").each(function (idx, val) {                var $val = NWF$(val);                var name = $val.find("Name").text();                var value = $val.find("Value").text();
                profile[name] = value;              });        }     });

var studentID = profile["StudentID"];
var testcontrol = NWF$('#' + StudentIDCalculated);
testcontrol.val(studentID);

var StudentPreferredName = profile["PreferredName"];
var StudentPreferredNamecontrol =  NWF$('#' + StudentPreferredNameCalculated);
StudentPreferredNamecontrol.val(StudentPreferredName);

});

});

Badge +1

I am still battling how to connect external data column (drop down list) with read only list. it shows blank in drop down.

Please share me

Badge +1

I think, this might help you: