People Picker Validation

• 16 November 2016
  • 13 replies

Badge +2

I am developing a nintex form which has 3 radio buttons.

If I click radio button 1,

Option 1(People Picker)Required

Option 2(People Picker)Required

Option 3(People Picker)Required

If I click radio button 2

Option 1(People Picker)Required

Option 3(People Picker)Required

If I click radio button 3,

all options become invisible

I added rules for making options visible and invisible. The part which I am struggling is the validation of people picker. I tried a validation rule which said IsNullorEmpty(Option 2)&&Radio Button 1=="ABC". It displayed a validation message when the people picker is empty when I try to submit but the problem is even after filling Option 2 the error still exist when I try to submit the form. Am I missing something here? For some reason the people picker is not identifying if it is not null. Are there other options?

I already tried  . 

13 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

are radio buttons 1-3 three different controls or is it one control with three possible options?

is/are radios connected to list field? if so what its datatype (choice, lookup ...)

can you post screenshot of your rule?

can you split your formula into smaller parts let them evaluate with calculated control value controls? (make a calc control for every evaluation/logical entity)

Badge +2

Typically it is one control with 3 different options and it is connected to the list field. It is a choice field.

Third suggestion is a good one. However how do I evaluate if the people picker is Null or Empty. For some reason it is not evaluating that people picker value.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

ok, I just wanted to be sure as you structured the question as if they were 3 separate controls.

logically your condition seems to be correct, just make sure you correctly reference functions and controls - select them from formula builder and do not type them in manually nor copy&paste.

you eg, posted IsNullorEmpty with capital 'I' whereas inline function is defined with 'i'

and one more question to be sure about functionality, hopefully you are using nintex' people picker control and not legacy sharepoint's one. is it so?

Badge +2

How do I find out if it is the nintex people picker or if it is from the sharepoint?

Badge +2

Marian, I think I am using the legacy sharepoint's people picker

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

the easiest way to recognize is to see whether PP control have 'check names' and 'address book' icons next to it.

if so, then it's sharepoint's one

the other sign is label 'People V1' in configuration dialog

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

if so then you're off luck, nintex functions/validation doesn't work with legacy sharepoint's controls

Badge +2

Unfortunately, I am off luck. I am using the SharePoint Legacy control. So no validations work with Legacy sharepoint's control?. Have to think another work around.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

definitely not with PP v1 control  sad.png

would you mind to enlight reasons you need to stick with PP v1 control?

Badge +2

With PPv1 control I get check names option which is faster when a user types their unique ID. I tried using the nintex people picker and it is taking me longer than usual to find the person's name. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

what form release are you on? there seems to be addressed some performance problems with nintex' PP recently

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi André Grodtke

were you able to resolve your problem?

if so, could you select an answer that helped you and mark it 'correct answer'?

#BRGreview

Badge +5

I wrote some custom JavaScript to validate as being required.

https://community.nintex.com/t5/Nintex-for-SharePoint/Required-field-validation-for-Legacy-people-picker-control/m-p/114843/highlight/true#M75275