Retrieving the user who submitted a form

• 16 January 2017
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

I am stuck with an issue that combines both Nintex Forms and Nintex Workflow.

I have a section of a form with a submit button.

I would like to save the user who clicked the submit button in a "People or Group" field called Approved By.

However, the button is already "Connected to" another field and sets a value there that the workflow uses to understand what state the form is in.

Once the workflow starts, I do not have access to the "CurrentUser" that was using the form.

The workflow should have been executed by that user though? Am I correct in thinking that?

Greg clicks the Submit button which fires off a workflow, that workflow was fired off by Greg?

Is this correct?

I can't seem to pull the value of that user who executed the action.

I thought maybe I could have a field on the form that always tracks the current user, however it only tracks the first user and even after I clear the value it doesn't repopulate correctly.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I can clarify anything further.

Thanks,

Greg

4 replies

Badge +16

Yes Greg should be the initiator of the workflow. You can check this in the workflow by using "log in history list" insert reference and under common select "initiator". That is of course assuming your workflow fires automatically on item addition or update? 

Badge +2

Thanks Cassy!

I'll try that today and update this question!

Badge +2

Thanks again Cassy!

That value is working perfectly!

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I thought this extra bit of info is relevant to the thread.  When you run a workflow it's run as the user who initiated the workflow.  i.e. it uses their permissions.  Sometimes these people don't have permissions to do certain things so you can use the permissions of the workflow designer to do that instead.

Easiest way for on-prem workflow is to use an action set and put all the actions you want inside that set and tick the box I've highlighted below.  There are a few other actions that have this option directly available too.  If you're using o365 you can use the App Step action which is same same but different!

Cheers,

Chris