How would you set-up a \equal to or greater than\" function?"

• 10 March 2016
  • 8 replies

Badge +2

I have a set group of days (319) and I am using the following Inline function to determine an item taken from a library (Effective Date) with current date.

fn-DateDiffDays({ItemProperty:EffectiveDate}{Common:CurrentDate}

which provides me a numeric value that I want to apply the "equal to or greater than" as part of a Run If action in a workflow?

Thanks!

8 replies

Badge +6

Hi Bear,

You would first load your DateDiff value as a number into a number variable. If it isn't, you wont see the Greater than/ Less than options. Then configure your RunIf like below:

Just be aware that the DateDiff is the difference between two dates. It will always return a positive number.

Cheers,

Mark

Badge +2

Mark,

Thank you for the response.  Question now is, using your capture, when I go to set-up the Run-If action, I do not get the same option which I have highlighted:

Nintex Response.png

I am confused on where your are getting your information for Where?

Thanks!

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

He is using a Workflow variable.

You would have to declare one in your workflow (as a number)...

179987_pastedImage_0.png

and then set it using a Set Variable action...

179988_pastedImage_2.png

Alternatively, you could use the Math Operation action and then using the list lookup pick your list columns and then store it to a variable.

Hope this helps!

Badge +2

Additional to my previous question:

I got the following workflow to work and send me a the correct result:

Nintex Workflow.png

Here is the Build String configuration:

Nintex Workflow 1.png

Here is the Convert Value configuration:

Nintex Workflow 2.png

1)  Why does the Build String only accept Single line of text Variable as shown below?  I tried other variations but it would not accept them.

Nintex Workflow varible.png

2) Why does the above Variable show as RED in the Convert Value configuration?  Doesn't that denote an issue?

BTW - with this workflow that works, when I apply the same configuration into a large workflow and attempt to run it, I get the following error message:

Error parsing value. Value 'fn-DateDiffDays({ItemProperty:EffectiveDate},3/14/2016)' is not compatible with the selected output variable type Number (double).

Sorry for the large images, but I was afraid if I reduced them, they would be unclear to read and I am trying to get a handle on Nintex configuration without any prior workflow experience.

Badge +6

Bear,

1. Build String - it's in the name you are creating a string, so only strings can be output. This means that the "Store result in" variable needs to be a string.

2. All the red text means is that you have selected a reference and not typed text.

With your error, are you typing the date or is this simply what is being returned in the error after values are inserted?

Regards,

Mark

Badge +2

Mark,

Thanks for the clarifying the Build String! 

For your question, I am utilizing this string:

Nintex string.png

ItemProperty:Effective Date is the date the document was last approved taken from a Library.

Common:Current Date is today's date.

Example:     ItemProperty:Effective Date = 5/18/2015

Common:Current Date ===== 3/15/2016

(Variable)      Difference =====   302

I am using the string above and pulling the data in question, thus my confusion on the Variable:Difference  showing in RED.

Thanks!

Bear

Badge +6

Bear,

For your error - it appears that the value that is being passed through to your Convert Value shape is "fn-DateDiffDays({ItemProperty:EffectiveDate},3/14/2016)" and not the numeric value you would expect - for example "302" above. Did you insert the {ItemProperty:EffectiveDate} value from the insert references or was it typed in? That's about all I've got! wink.png

Cheers,

Mark

Badge +2

Mark,

I inserted the {ItemProperty:EffectiveDate}.  I try not to type any of the inline functions due to typos.  When setting up the Build String, it would only let me use a variable created with a Single line of text.  It would not recognize a variable with a numeric value.  Thus the use of the Convert Value action in the workflow.

I really appreciate your feedback on the whole situation - just trying to get a good handle of functionality!